Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Legs and Wings - clueless how to cook these

I've never cooked chicken legs or wings on my egg.  Any suggestions for how to do so?  Wife bought a package of each and no idea how to cook these.
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Easy.  Season.  Direct, around 350.  Baby sit them so they don't burn.   Cook until they're tender.
    I do direct unless using a high sugar sauce on them then I go indirect for an hour. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nolaegghead
    I do direct unless using a high sugar sauce on them then I go indirect for an hour. 
    I'll to them like that too.  No need for the babysitting.
    edited June 2014
     One way I like to do wings and drumsticks on the egg is a dry rub of my own concoction. then smoke indirect for an hour @ 250.
    Pull the platesetter and cook direct, turning frequently until done.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I haven't done them yet, but I would do 350 indirect, raised for at least an hour maybe.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    I'm an indirect guy as well, rub em up, on the grill at 350 for an hour or so, light amount of smoke and enjoy!  You really can't go wrong with direct or indirect, both wings are legs are fairly forgiving when cooking on the Egg and usually turn out amazing!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• nolaegghead
    Its pretty much: do you want grilled or baked chicken?
    One thing you need to take into consideration is the legs are dark meat and larger than the white meat wings, so you might want to give the legs a little head start.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • I think I will go with indirect, with PS legs up and drip pan on it.  Maybe try some EVOO with some type of rub on it.  350 and cook until 165ish
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Direct ith Mickey coffee rub for legs and look up cazzy wings
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    You want too cook to a higher temp than that say 180. I never check temp on wings once they are crispy they are done. I cook raised direct and try to build a smaller fire so you don't have to baby sit as much.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    The below web site is a great wing cooking method-
    For legs-about the same but I do check the temp on them-anything >180*F and away you go.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I like raised direct around 400* til done. I prefer to hang them, eliminates needing to flip them, cuts down on babysitting efforts.

Here's an rack pick I found online with both legs and wings on.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Thats a pretty cool looking contraption.  I'll probably stick with babysitting and getting my char lines, but I do think that is a pretty cool way to avoid the flipping.  I also expect if you can fit 3 or 4 of those in an egg you could cook more drumsticks and/or wings than running them flat on the grate.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Magnumpig
    Magnumpig Posts: 3
    I like to do them at 475 indirect with no sauce on them for about 30 mins give or take for size, then apply a sauce for 5 mins. almost pass for deep fried. never have to flip or worry about burning them.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Raised direct at 225℉-275℉ w/ an occasional look see and flip usually once to avoid sticking and/or burning. Works naked, rubbed or sauced.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dang it, she threw me a curveball.  No wings, just drum sticks and thighs.  Still going indirect, 350, pan for drippings, and cazzys wing marinade on half and EVOO and some mardi gras rub I made a while back on the other half.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Turned out good, 350ish, both the mardi gras and cazzy's marinade were good eating.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Raised / Direct 400......... image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.