Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I have to use my BGE feet?

Options
We have a large BGE that has three feet. We are building an outdoor kitchen where the egg will be sitting on a three-sided stone enclosure with a concrete base. The front is open and there is plenty of room on either side. Must I use the feet or can the egg sit directly on the concrete piece? Thanks!!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You do not have to use the feet. I sit mine directly on a concrete block.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RooCeleste
    RooCeleste Posts: 26
    Options
    Thank you! That's what I was hoping to hear!
  • SGH
    Options
    You do not have to use the feet. I sit mine directly on a concrete block. I don't know why the pic didn't post the first time.image

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    You are more than welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RooCeleste‌
    My egg did not come with feet. I did however pick some up about a year later. I have never used them. Once I sat the egg on the block I didn't see any need to risk moving it. Seems to work about as good as anything else I have saw.

Status- Standing by.

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I use my egg feet all the time but i use them Inside the egg :)  come in handy to put a drip pan etc... on
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • SGH
    Options
    @RooCeleste‌
    Just a tip that most seasoned eggers already know.
    When cooking direct above 500 degrees you can use one of the feet as a spacer. Why? You don't have to concern yourself with trying to burp the egg. This trick totally eliminates flash back. So the feet are worth having if for nothing else this purpose when cooking direct above 500 degrees.

imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    If the entire enclosure is stone and you do not have anything combustible near the egg (especially below) you should be good. Gotta be careful if it is on wood, some eggheads have had scorching of the wood underneath even through the heavy concrete pads, usually with high heat cooks, like for pizza!  In that case most recommend an air gap of 2"….have fun!
    LBGE
  • RooCeleste
    RooCeleste Posts: 26
    Options
    Good tip of using feet as a spacer! And there's nothing combustible....it's built of solid cinder blocks covered with flagstone, concrete Egg-pad and concrete countertops. Without the feet it just looks so much neater.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RooCeleste‌ Just a tip that most seasoned eggers already know. When cooking direct above 500 degrees you can use one of the feet as a spacer. Why? You don't have to concern yourself with trying to burp the egg. This trick totally eliminates flash back. So the feet are worth having if for nothing else this purpose when cooking direct above 500 degrees. imageimage

That the first time I have seen or heard that one! BTW it's no wonder you have no gaskets on your egg...having your egg ripping along at 500 and above with the dome propped open even that small amount burns up gaskets in a jiffy let alone risks catching the handle on fire! Sorry, but I just can't back you on that suggestion.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    Options
    @RooCeleste‌
    Let me say please still use caution on high heat cooks if you chose to try my spacer tip. I have never had a flash back since I started doing it. But there is always a first time for everything. Good luck and again welcome.

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited June 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RooCeleste‌ Let me say please still use caution on high heat cooks if you chose to try my spacer tip. I have never had a flash back since I started doing it. But there is always a first time for everything. Good luck and again welcome.
    Trust me - I'm not starting a fight - keeping your dome propped open like that not only destroys your gaskets quickly it also lets more air in to stoke the fire and I'm not even sure what that is doing to your dome temperature readings. I've been an egger for 14 years and this was the first time I heard this 'old timers' trick you mention. Peace...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I haven't been in the game nearly as long as Ron has but I have never seen one using anything to prop the dome open like that. If it works for you, Freaking Awesome and you might be on to something. I use the feet that I have as spacers for high heat cooks doing pizza and such. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    The feet are great for raising the pizza stone up a little.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    Is there any truth to the thought, that when placed flush on a solid surface like a concrete block or paver, your egg is at higher risk of a case crack because there is not an insulating air space below it? The thought is that this restricts the eggs ability to sluff heat and as a result it overheats the space below the fire box. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I think the air space is good to have. Like mentioned above moisture could present a cracking problem especially during the winter months when it freezes. Not only that, say there is a slight hump or bump in your base, the weight of the egg will rest on that and be more likely to cause a cracking problem.
  • RooCeleste
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Our outdoor kitchen is finally FINISHED and I did end up putting the Egg on its feet, even though it is resting on a solid slab of 4" concrete enclosed by concrete and stone. I figured a bit of air below to breathe couldn't be a bad thing, and I don't have to find a place to store the feet. So all is well, and now it's time to cook!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Yes, go cook tasty foooood!!! We will waiting to hear your reports and see the photos! A good way to start is to post a photo of you new kitchen.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The pic above (think it might be @SGH) shows an egg sitting on a patio stone sitting on wood. That can be a recipe for a fire. Many using this set-up have noticed severe char marks on the wood under the stone when refinishing the table or moving the egg. It all depends on how hot the cooks are how clean the ash pit is how porous the stone is. An air gap between the egg and whatever it sits on is ideal. If you have the feet, I suggest you use them. A raised egg also makes it easier to rake ash out of the egg into a pan. 

EDIT - found Nola's thermal conductivity reference, basically 1" of air gap provides the same thermal conductivity as 10" of concrete stone. Air gap is your friend. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with most here, those feet are useless.  If you'll send them to me I'll kindly dispose of them for you, no charge of course.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• promad
    Options
    if somebody has feet there not using I would like some for mine if you want to get rid of them , shoot me a pm , thanks
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @promad I have them, not using them currently, and you aren't getting them :D

Sorry, just had to add useless commentary. My XL didn't include them, but when I added my Small it was a showroom floor model that was older and still included the green feet. You can use terracotta planter feet from Lowe's/etc. They aren't green, but some high-heat green paint could fix that.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    Just curious. Does anyone know why BGE stopped manufacturing the feet? For the record this is not a trick question, but a sincere inquiry.

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think they eliminated the feet in lieu of the table nest...so they could sell an extra accessory :D.  I do think the table nest is a much better design- particularly for wooden tables.  

For a concrete table you don't have to worry about a fire but I agree with @Skiddymarker that they might help with a little air circulation under you egg to let the base cool.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - agree the table nest is ideal, great air circulation and is simplifies raking ash. I use mine for MBGE sans table. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • aukerns08
    Options
    @skiddymarker - I like that homemade ash tool next to your egg in that pic.  I'll have to remember that if mine ever breaks.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @aukerns08 - good eye - it works great, 5 minutes to make - 5 year old grand son wrapped the handle with his favourite colors of tape. Holds its shape very well, I use it on one side when lifting a hot setter out.