Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Stuffed Peppers

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Just some peppers stuffed with ground pork and ground coon meat. 50/50 mix of pork and coon. A little rice, green onion, white onion, mozzarella and garlic. Salt and cayenne pepper. Heavily smoked over oak. Will post more pics as the cook progresses. Hope y'all enjoy.

imageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I wouldn't have believed it. @-)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    @DMW‌
    I speak only the truth my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    I thought Nola let those little fellers go...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    @JohnInCarolina‌
    We always have 1 or 2 in the freezer.

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    SGH said:
    @JohnInCarolina‌ We always have 1 or 2 in the freezer.

Just giving you the business! The peppers look great!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    @JohnInCarolina‌
    I know you was messing with me. But we really do keep them in the freezer. Thanks for the compliments my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Complete and covered with melted cheese. Hope y'all enjoy.

imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• That looks great (even though I HATE bell peppers.

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Never had coon but that makes me want to try it!!

When I was a Homebuilder our drywall guys were from Eastern Ky. A town called Caneyville. They were always coon hunting and actually would complete in hunting contest. They made good moonshine too.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌ Thank you my friend.
    @Mattman3969‌ It's not bad at all. We was raised eating it. Years ago I use to dabble with a little shine myself I'm ashamed to say. Thanks for the compliment my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    It looks good, but I can't bring myself to eat coon again!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    @johnkitchens‌
    Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Coon meat? That explains the heavy smoke. So after you plate it and take a picture, you throw away the pepper and eat the plate, right?
    NW IOWA
  • SGH
    @Philly35‌
    We really enjoy it. If you bone the carcass then grind the meat with a little pork it's actually very good. I do throw away the chest plate and the lower back meat but short of that it's pretty dog gone good.

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Interesting cook...

My daughter and I would likely give it a shot, the wife would run away screaming LOL

Nicely done! :)
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Maybe NOLA could do these with the infestation of coons he has....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    So no coon filets? :P  Do you have to soak it like venison? What exactly does plain old coon taste like? The cook looked very good, however.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • BGEXL_Nick
    BGEXL_Nick Posts: 88
    I wondered the same thing.  Does it have a real gamey taste?  Also, is the pork added for the fat or to balance out the flavor?

Looks great either way!  Something I'd have to try at least once.
  • SGH
    @Cymbaline65‌
    Coon meat is pretty strong tasting. A coon over 4 years old is very strong tasting. I add pork to it to kind of tame the wild taste down. As with most wild animals coon does have the gamey taste. The gamey taste does not bother me as I was raised eating it. But some find it a little strong if they are not accustom to it. If I mix it with pork I do not soak it. I would recommend a good soak if you are going to cook straight coon to help mellow the taste as most find it to be very strong.

Status- Standing by.

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    @SGH: All good info to store away - especially if I find a tasty roadkill on my way home. I had bear steaks once. Only once. Awful.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • SGH
    @Cymbaline65‌
    I hear ya my friend. Bear can be both strong and overpowering in taste if the proper steps are not taken in advance prior to cooking. As far as the coon it's actually very good and pleasant mixed with pork. You should give it a try sometime if you get the chance.

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    edited June 2014
    Do yuo live in NW Alabama?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    edited June 2014
    @‌thetrim
    No sir. South east Ms. Just north of Gulfport. I have a home on the Ms/Al line as well right off 614.

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    Great.  I once went to a cemetery in Cherokee, AL reserved for Coonhounds.  Truly onw of the coolest place in America that I've been
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    @thetrim‌
    That is pretty cool my friend!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @BGEXL_Nick‌
    Pork is added for taste. Coon meat is very greasy or oily if you will. Not so much fat but the very meat it's self contains a lot of oil or grease which ever you chose to call it. If I had to compare its taste to something you may recognize I would say that it kind of favors the dark meat on a wild turkey but much greasier. I hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    @thetrim‌
    That's the coolest thing I have ever saw! And believe me I have saw a lot. Thanks for sharing my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @thetrim‌
    You have me curious now. Are you by chance a coon hunter?

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    I'm not but I have been to the Key Underwood Coondog Cemetery back in Jan '95.  I have a very good friend who grew up in Town Creek, AL.  He lived the life and knew about that place. 

I actually may be driving thru that area on a trip from Nebraska this summer.  We're going to try and stop by the Shiloh Battlefield and wouldn't you know that the Coondog cemetery is about 10 miles out of the way on a trip between Shiloh and Tampa, FL???
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95