Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Brand of Mandolin Slicer

2»

Comments

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    My guard works fine on mine..........when I decide to use it LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have the Kyocera ceramic one. It collects dust just as good as the rest of them.
  • I have had one of these Boerner V-Slicers for 15 years and love it. It is only now starting to show any wear on the blade and I will likely replace it with one of the same.

It slices at 2 thicknesses and 2 size julienne cutters

Agree with everyone that you MUST use the guard and don't rush.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    I don't use it that often, but when I do it works quite nicely. Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline. Amazon for 39.99. Great.reviews. It's cheap and works well.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Borner V slicer. Awesome mandolin. I had the good grips one and it was a straight edge slicer and it was a POS. V slicers work better IMO.

Garnerville, NY
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    A decent knife.  Trashed my mandolin slicer .... too darn dangerous.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Have an oxo and never use it. Chefs knife does the trick for me
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Thanks for all the replies. I been a little busy to reply but since I got the Work Sharp and actually see how my knives cut when they are good n sharp I might just hold off on the mandolin

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I have super sharp knives and great knife skills, but I still use my Matfer often. I wear a steel-mesh glove and keep my palm level with the cutting edge. Potatoes for gratins; radishes for salads; zuccini for quick sautés; and perfect small carrot batons for dicing. Love it. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Much faster than a knife if you want all the slices uniform so they cook equally as well.
    Dearborn MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i cant see spending all that money on a slicer, my old one cuts me just fine
    :)) i use this one for cabbage, potato gratin, and summer squashes and it still works fine after 60 or so years, i found a new one a few years ago online and that ones at camp, its not as sharp since they went to stainless blades

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Cook's Illustrated rated mandolines a number of years ago, I bought their #1 recommendation, the Oxo Good Grips V-Blade.  It was rather complicated to set up, and I broke it after only a few uses.   :(

They ran the test again in the May/Jun '14 issue, and had the same complaints after a long use of it.  The new winners are the Swissmar Borner that several have already mentioned, and a simple Kyocera (although it doesn't julienne).  I now have the Borner but haven't used it yet... :\">

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    :)) i use this one for cabbage, potato gratin, and summer squashes and it still works fine after 60 or so years, i found a new one a few years ago online and that ones at camp, its not as sharp since they went to stainless blades

Jeezus!!!!!!!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's missing "Warning: Tetanus shot required for safe operation."
    edited June 2014

Jeezus!!!!!!!
    must be the reason i grew up eating just purple coleslaw at grandmas
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Did Grandma have all her fingers?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    she passed away this year at 93 with all ten fingers, i did take it away from her about 15 years ago though
    :))  looks to have a permanent blood stain on it
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Sorry. Hate when that happens. My Grandmothers have been gone for years.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sorry. Hate when that happens. My Grandmothers have been gone for years.
    Agreed. Sorry, Fish. My maternal grandmother passed last fall around Thanksgiving.
  • A nice mandolin slicer is a great asset to have in the kitchen. I bought a Borner probably 24 years ago from a tv infomercial and I love it. It's starting to show its age but you can't replace it for slicing onions for French Onion soup, or making homemade cottage fries etc. I have a great selection of knives but this type of slicer is handy to have and I would buy a Borner again. Chefscatalog.com has a few, my experience with good grips and oxo is they make great gadgets but nothing I would buy with a sharp blade attached. Just my .02, Good luck!

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Here's mine. No brand though. Sorry. :) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @Carolina_Q: Now that is scary.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia