Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean burn gone wrong. Help!

So tonight after cooking a brisket and baby backs I decided to do a clean burn. Completely opened up the bottom vent, took the top off, and let it go for awhile. When I came back to check on things the dome thermometer was maxed out and when I opened the dome I noticed some moisture around the gasket (I'm assuming this was glue). I didn't think it looked good so I decided to shut it down and capped the top and closed my bottom vent. Came back later and the dome temp read 400 but when I tried to open the dome it was sealed shut! Is it going to open once everything cools off? What should I do? Thanks in advance! Got the inlaws coming over tomorrow and I'm suppose to be cooking! Help!
Houston, TX

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    The more it cools the harder it will be to open.  You may have a hard time saving the gasket.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    I don't think it's glue. It is probably moisture from your cook. I think you will be surprised how easily it's artificial bond breaks. Lift a little harder or ever so carefully slide the blade of a putty knife between the gaskets until you find where it is stuck. My 2 cents.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited June 2014
    Cowdogs said:
    The more it cools the harder it will be to open.  You may have a hard time saving the gasket.

I agree though I imagine that gasket is history any way. Since he is under the gun to cook tomorrow he will need to try to open it tomorrow with a putty knife or sharp blade but never using any force!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Sounds like you have fused your gasket. Try and start a fire through the bottom vent, to warm things up, then see if you can get a putty knife in between dome and bottom. You should be able to get things apart. Your gasket is ruined, but it's no problem to cook without one.
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited June 2014
    I had this same thing happen...you got so hot, you melted the gasket. I had to saw the old gasket out with a Japanese pull saw. (Thin blade, guess a hacksaw would work too). Didn't hurt the ceramic a bit.

I probably needed to saw out two thirds of it before I could muscle it open. Time to call on @RRP "‌ and get a Rutland with installation instructions.

Careful the top doesn't tip off and break, your bands expanded a bunch and may be loose..

Good luck!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Orthobear
    Orthobear Posts: 84
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'll plan on trying to cut it open tomorrow morning. How can I get an Rutland RRP?
    Houston, TX
  • RRP
    Orthobear said:
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'll plan on trying to cut it open tomorrow morning. How can I get an Rutland RRP?

Just send me a PM - but I'm off to bed - catch ya in the morning...
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    You can also use a box cutter and go around the egg till it opens. Not to laugh at you but we have all either already done it or will do it at some time.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Why do a clean burn? I think the 8 or 9 years of build up on my WSM adds to the flavors etc. My egg is only 2 months old.
    Dearborn MI
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    To burn out the fat and drippings from a low and slow cook.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The stuff you saw around the gasket could also have been just the greasy gunk that had seeped into the gasket melting out. That's not as bad as if the glue melted and soaked the two gasket layers together. If you can get a putty knife into the seam, and it works, try heating the knife some. The added heat will make cutting the grease easier.

FWIW, a couple of years ago, I had put off replacing my old gasket. Tho' it seemed very worn, I was getting a good seal. Did a cleaning burn, and saw brown liquid seeping all around the gasket. Turned out that most of the gasket was just the gunk caked up. Once the clean burn was done, I saw there was only about 1/4 of the felt left.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    I never cleaned mine after reading an interview with Harry Soo from Slap Yo Daddy. BBQ As much as he competed he doesn't clean his smokers and he never does fish in the same smoker he cooks BBQ in.  I'm new to the egg so I'll just see how it goes I guess. Could get expensive burning up gaskets to get rid of the build up though LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    edited June 2014
    Clean burn? Just make a Napolitana pizza!
    Kemah, TX
  • Orthobear
    So I've still been unable to get the domes apart. I've been sawing, cutting, took a putty knife and was trying to pry it open some but that only seems to be chipping pieces of the ceramic dome off. Any other ideas?
    Houston, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    start a fire through the bottom vent and let it get hot as you can.  Might take 30 or 40 minutes to get hot enough, but you should be able to use a putty knife or box cutter and free the dome.

BTW - take your dome thermometer out in the future when you plan on going past 700F.
    Thanks for the help guys! Finally got the egg open by lightly hammering my putty knife through one area of the gasket that had not completely melted down.
    Houston, TX
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Were you able to cook fine afterwards? No problem with the dome opening again when you closed it for your cooks? Just curious.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Orthobear
    I haven't fired it up yet bbqlearner but I'll let you know how it goes. Seems like it should be fine. I plan to smoke a pork butt tomorrow.
    Houston, TX
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited June 2014
    Mine did that several years ago. Opened it with a butter knife. I haven't had a gasket on my egg for at least 4 years. Don't have any problems with it. Though I did just order a Rutland from RRP. thank you by the way and the check is in the mail. Will be putting it on when I have a little time to do if

Do be careful closing it though because you don't have that cushion of the gasket when you close it
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Orthobear
    No problem with my cook yesterday bbqlearner. The dome opened just fine and didn't seem to be sticking or leaking smoke from the sides. Just got my new Rutland gasket from RRP so things are looking up for me.
    Houston, TX
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Cool thanks for the update.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    @orthobear - post pics after the install. I want to hear how the install goes with the rutland on the XL. 

Mine is hanging on strong. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • RRP
    edited June 2014
    GATABITES said:
    @orthobear - post pics after the install. I want to hear how the install goes with the rutland on the XL. 

Mine is hanging on strong. 
    What kind of information are you looking for? Here's a shot of my Rutland on my large. The 5/8" flat braided gasket is compressed or "bunched" so as to make it suit the width of whatever size BGE it is going on.
  • Rplatt2
    Rplatt2 Posts: 30
    What is the web adress for the Rutland?
  • Orthobear
    Thanks to RRP I have cleaned up my XL and will be installing my Rutland gasket tonight. Just in time to do some cooking on the 4th!
    Houston, TX
  • Orthobear
    Used 3M paint and rust remover along with a coarse sponge to clean off the old gasket.
    Houston, TX
  • Orthobear
    Squished the gasket down to 84 inches to cover the XL.
    Houston, TX
  • Orthobear
    Used a flat plastic tackle box divider to spread the permatex ultra copper adhesive on the edges of the bottom dome.
    Houston, TX
  • Orthobear
    Started at the back and lightly laid the Rutland gasket down. 84 inches was a little long so I cut off the excess then pressed the gasket into the permatex.
    Houston, TX
  • Orthobear
    Laid down foil over the gasket and closed the dome to let everything set up for 24 hrs. We'll see how it looks tomorrow night.
    Houston, TX