Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Advice

Options
jfine1
jfine1 Posts: 87
Howdy folks. Just bought a pizza stone for the BGE and would love some advice from folks, best practices, hints and tips on how to make the perfect pizza.  have heard that pizza on the egg is better than any pizza in the world - so help me hone those skills !!

Comments

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @jfine1‌ there are many ways to do it as there are people. Some cook pizza plate setter legs up and put stone on the grate, I like to go plate setter legs down with the stone on the top of the setter. I think most people say the higher in the dome the pizza is the better it cooks. I usually like 600ish for temp. Make sure the stone gets hot enough to cook the crust before putting it on. IMO the stone itself needs to be 400-425. It really is just a process and you have to figure out what works for you. Are you making your own dough or?
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This was my setup before I realized the pies were just as good (and easier) in my oven. No one here believes that, but that's ok.

Platesetter, legs down, about 4" of spacers (planter feet and mini woo for me) and stone. Most pies need 500-550° (generic local pizza joint type pies). Higher hydration doughs need higher temps.

imageimage

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    This was my setup before I realized the pies were just as good (and easier) in my oven. No one here believes that, but that's ok.

I do.  I've done a few in the egg, but the only advantage I saw to it is that I didn't have to wait my turn for the oven on pizza night.  I've been making my own pizza from scratch, generally one a week, for several years...so I've done "a few".
  • jfine1
    Options
    @Randy1‌ think will use store dough until I really get the hang of it
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Making the dough is really simple.  It's working with the dough and forming the pizza that's taken me years to learn to do satisfactorily. 
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    @jfine1‌ that's cool. it just takes time to learn what works best. Just experiment until you find what works.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Tomorrow will be my first run at making the dough and egging a home made pizza. I'm excited to give it a go!!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • jfine1
    Options
    @mcmac‌ post how you get on please!