Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump in Anchorage, Chuck steak question?

Options
Mik of Alaska
Mik of Alaska Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just found out that my lump is in Anchorage and will be here tomorrow or monday. I need to know how you would do chuck steak (boneless) on the BGE. NO!!! Not for me....but for my friend who seens to think they are the best. Thanks for any info you have. Mik
P.S. They're about 1" thick and go about 1 1/2 lbs each.

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Mik of Alaska, I would say low and slow so it can be pulled a part for pulled beef, cant think if I had it in steak form, usually in a stew or ground up for hamburger meat.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    tach18k,
    i dunno
    i am just guessing, but that's gotta be too thin to do a lo-and-slo... it'd hit target temp without spending much time in a plateau.[p]and i just think the guy who likes that cut probably likes them as steaks (hence the way they were cut).[p]the egg transorms even the cheapest cuts. again, though, that thin, and not being overly tender by nature, you might do well to treat them as steaks and pull them when medium-rare (erring towards rare).[p]you don't have much thickness to work with, so the sear shouldn't be too long, and you might only do it by searing (no Trex). going Trex, it'd probably overcook on the plate waiting for the egg to get down to 'roast' temp just from the residual heat of the sear.[p]not an authority, just gut feeling

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mik of Alaska,
    Cut the chuck steak into medallions about 1-1/2" wide by 3" long.Marinate them in a homestyle italian dressing to to which you have added 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice. Marinate overnite or at least 12 hours. Then egg em hot and
    fast like steak. No t-rex for this one though.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    2005233857.jpg
    <p />Mik of Alaska,
    if he hasnt seen the steak yet, i would buy a big sirloin and substitute it, still tell him its a chuck steak though. they have all the flavor and are a more relible cook. those chuck steaks come out fair about 1 out of 5 times, the other 4 get frozen for chili. heres my version of a chuck steak made with sirloin : )

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mik of Alaska
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Man!! That is one great lookin steak! I don't know what's with the guy but he loves those chucks. I'm gonna see if I can get the one in five and if not ....hey...I'm not eating it. Later, Mik