Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Problem

Options
Looking for opinions. The party I am going to tomorrow is starting later than originally planned. I am bringing two pork butts. Problem is that they are going to be ready about ten hours before the party starts. Isn't this too long to FTC? I don't have a yeti. If I reheat will it be ok?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    IMO, that's too long, yeti or not. Reheating will work. It won't be as good, but it'll work.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I admire your confidence to be able to predict when any big ol hunk of meat will complete a low&slow cook.  That said, I don't know the weights, start time, cook-temp or desired finish time (and related time zone). Absent anything else, I can't offer much other than dial down the BGE cook-temp to slow the cook.  You can let a pork butt run to around 210*F and still be most eggcellent.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If I may ask what internal temp are you at now?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    Options
    @lousubcap‌ It's just over a 10 lb butt. I started it at 7pm eastern. Temp is just over 100*F. Party is at 6:30 pm. The egg is currently at 220*F.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I'm guessing both butts are at around 10#'s each-Given what I now know and if you can hold around 220*F (on a calibrated dome thermo) you should be able to get into the FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler) window (easily around 4-6 hours). 
     Remember, that for the great majority of indirect cooks (platesetter or other heat deflector between the burning lump and target meat) the dome initially runs hotter (15-40*F) than the cooking grid temp.  (Longer the dome is shut the less the temperature difference).  I wouldn't worry about the timing until you are up in the 180's on each butt.  Also, each butt will finish at it's own pace and can be a couple of hours different that it's twin.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    Options
    @lousubcap‌ yes they are both ten pound butts. I really appreciate the advice!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Caliking  You around man? We have a butt problem.
    Options
    Present! :)

+1 to what @lousubcap‌ said.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eggcelsior said you are the resident butt doctor so who was I to call? :D

Back to the problem at hand, two pork butts - 20 lbs total - you can keep that warm for 10 hours easily with a good cooler, longer with hot bricks or throwing in a 170F oven (wrapped in foil maybe with some broth or juice) to add a little heat. 
    Options
    Who moves a party start time 10 hours?
    NOLA