Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What kind of Beef Ribs are they?

nealcr1
nealcr1 Posts: 198
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Went to Patton's in Duluth and picked up these beef ribs for tomorrow. Can you tell me what kind they are? Please note that the second pic is showing 2 racks in one pack. Therefore, I don't think they are short ribs. I plan to use Mickey's rub on them, but would love suggestions on cooking method. The second pic also depicts the toys that were confiscated today due to a 3 year old not listening.
Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Is there 7 bones in them ? My old eyes can't see well

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nealcr1
    edited June 2014
    Yes sir. With one much larger than the others.@sgh
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • SGH
    If they are 7 bones they come from the rib section known as the plate. These are excellent ribs. Wish my old eyes were better!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nealcr1
    edited June 2014
    The butcher mentioned they were more of a center cut. Any cooking suggestions? @sgh
  • SGH
    There is a cut that comes from the chuck region but you don't hardly see them in supermarkets. If you got them from a actual butcher shop you may have the chuck cut ribs which are even better. These will always cost more than comparable short ribs. I can only see the ends in the pics so I couldn't say for sure that they are or not from the chuck. But you have very good ribs be they from the plate or chuck section. I like to heavy smoke them for about 2 hours unwrapped at 225 then wrap and put them back on until tender. I hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• nealcr1
    Sounds right. The butcher said the same and expect about 45 minutes wrapped in foil after the 2:15 with heavy smoke. He said these were more delicate and didn't need to cook as long as other types of ribs. @SGH‌ I will post tomorrow.
  • SGH
    @nealcr1‌
    Good luck my friend. You are in for a real treat!

Status- Standing by.

• nealcr1
    Only paid $20 bucks!
  • SGH
    That ain't bad my friend!

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I get them here at Wegmans... They're labeled as Beef Back ribs
  • nealcr1
    @hapster‌ how do you normally cook them?
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Low n slow... Around 250 dome with oak for smoke and rubbed with Bad Byron's. Do them till they are super tender.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    My wife doesn't eat pork and now days very limited beef. But, I use to do nothing but beef ribs when I did ribs. +1 235℉-250℉ indirect until succulent and tender. Mmmmm good eats! Ok I've just decided I'm gonna do some myself this weekend. Thanks for the share :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    They look like beef back ribs to me. For me, about 3 - 3 1/2 hrs at 275 with oak wood for smoke works. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    +1 on Beef Back Ribs. The don't look like a full plate+chuck plate to me.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nealcr1
    Thanks guys. I will post the cook later today. Starting around 3pm est, planning on around a 7pm dinner.
  • nealcr1
    Beef Ribs on @ 250 dome. Used Mickey's rub and enough hickory to build a cabin. Will keep you posted.