Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's Coffee Rub Version 1.?

Options
2»

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Well no one answered my question, to be fair was off topic for this post, but I am going to try it and mix with brown sugar. See how it goes. 
    The original recipe called for Sugar in the Raw. Correct @Mickey‌ ?
    Sorry, my question, where I kind of attempted to hijack thread, was about opinion on a diff rub I wanted to use because i could not get the ingrediants for the coffee rub in time for tonight
    Boom
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Do you guys all use "instant" coffee? Can you grind real espresso beans for this?
    Long Island, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Origins called for raw sugar. I switched ti brown sugar long ago. Also the finer your grind the better on coffee.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Moosebranch
    Options
    radamo said:
    Do you guys all use "instant" coffee? Can you grind real espresso beans for this?
    I was wanting to know the same. I have this......image
    Large Egg
    Atlanta
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Mickey‌ is that just a preference thing? Or do you find better results with it VS InThe Raw? I liked the taste of Sugar In The Raw better and when putting in a shaker I thought I was easier to apply the rub and could utilize the left over because you don't get the caking you tend to get with brown sugar.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Options

@Mickey‌ is that just a preference thing? Or do you find better results with it VS InThe Raw? I liked the taste of Sugar In The Raw better and when putting in a shaker I thought I was easier to apply the rub and could utilize the left over because you don't get the caking you tend to get with brown sugar.

IMO the brown sugar taste better. But use the one you like best
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    radamo said:

I've never used instant, only dark roast beans that I finely grind. It's always amazing.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I use the instant espresso...but I'm a nube.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I used Starbucks Espresso roast because that's what we tend to have onhand to make our espresso and cappuccino with. It worked fantastic.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Options
    Have you tried to substitute cocoa powder for the brown sugar?
    Brampton, Ontario

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ReldtiCDN said:

Have you tried to substitute cocoa powder for the brown sugar?

:-O Why would one do this? Just outta shear curiosity humor me in the theory behind this. Or considering it's 330am EST is this the liquid refreshments talking. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Options
    Just wondering if anybody has tried it and liked it. Saw some cocoa rub recipe's. Oh it's that late lol
    Brampton, Ontario

• Mickey
    Options
    I use this. image