Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Definition Video Surveillance System - Residential

Options
nolan8v
nolan8v Posts: 400
I'm in the market for a surveillance system and am open to any suggestions.

I am looking for a reliable, high definition system that can connect 18 cameras (hard-wired or wireless) with a 3 or 4tb recorder.

Budget is $5K.

Thanks in advance.
"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
Chris Rose 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You want to use Ethernet PoE.

I've installed a few systems, not professionally, but they're very easy to install.

Here's a 16 channel system with 12 1080p cameras. 

Going to 18 channels might raise up your price point significantly - you're getting into pro-level territory.

http://www.lorextechnology.com/HD-IP-security-camera-system/16-channel-HD-security-camera-system-with-IP-cameras/NVR1612T.p 

If 480p NTSC worked for you, you could get a system for next to nothing.   Under $800.  You'll probably be pushing $3K plus for what you want, plus cabling and labor if you have someone install.
    Options
    I own 2 Chow Chows. Very territorial. No one gets in my yard.IMO, a very protective dog. So no need for a surveillance system in my home, that is unless your trying to keep an eye on your spouse or children. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Check out the Wirepath line sold by SnapAv. They make nice equipment with an easy to use app. So long as you know how to do a little port forwarding you will find it not to bad to set up. The NVR is the easy part, getting the wires where you need them......not so much (without making Swiss Cheese out of your home). Try not to go too high with your camera placement either, you do not want video of the top of peoples heads. This is the most often mistake made by HHO when installing cameras. See if you can find a good electrician to run the cat5 for you if your not comfortable with the wire runs.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    What would be good one to monitor my barn doors. Don't need any thing super fancy just a way to record vagrants and trespassers up to no good. I have two entrances I would like to monitor.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    FWIW some home security system company's will do this and have it tied into the system with internet viewing of cameras and remote locks, lighting, thermostat etc. Nexia Home Intelligence with droid and apple apps available.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Thank you. I would really like the live view on my iPhone. That would be awesome to say the least.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    SGH said:

@nolaegghead‌
    What would be good one to monitor my barn doors. Don't need any thing super fancy just a way to record vagrants and trespassers up to no good. I have two entrances I would like to monitor.

There are some real cool wireless units with IR cameras available that folks often use to monitor wildlife. Don't see why it wouldn't work in your application.
    Edit: this type of system doesn't typically have the connectivity to monitor from a apple or droid (unless they've made advances --which I'm sure they have). Just research a little and I'm sure you'll find all the features you want.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ Most home security companies platforms for that type of system won't handle 16 cameras. They are limited to 4-8 cameras. Alarm.com is 4 right now but will change soon.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    That looks like the ticket. The price is far less than what I was expecting. Thanks man.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - no problem.  I have a cheap one in the house and another in the shop.  Used an old junk monitor - stays on 24/7.  The DVR is mounted in the closet with the face sticking out the other side of the wall.  The closet is locked.  If someone broke in (the alarm would be going off) they would have to break into the closet to steal the video of them breaking in.

It's nice because we can see who's at the door before letting them know we're at home (sales people, etc).

Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    That's a heck of a good idea there brother . Again thanks my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Options
    @SGH - no problem.  I have a cheap one in the house and another in the shop.  Used an old junk monitor - stays on 24/7.  The DVR is mounted in the closet with the face sticking out the other side of the wall.  The closet is locked.  If someone broke in (the alarm would be going off) they would have to break into the closet to steal the video of them breaking in.

It's nice because we can see who's at the door before letting them know we're at home (sales people, etc).

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I'll be researching these products tonight.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    GeorgeS said:

@NPHuskerFL‌ Most home security companies platforms for that type of system won't handle 16 cameras. They are limited to 4-8 cameras. Alarm.com is 4 right now but will change soon.

Shows what I know. We have a home security system that we can access thru a different app. And the Nexia app I use for my Thermostat for remote access.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I own 2 Chow Chows. Very territorial. No one gets in my yard.IMO, a very protective dog. So no need for a surveillance system in my home, that is unless your trying to keep an eye on your spouse or children. Tim
    I did some work for a contractor in FL some years ago and he had two very good professional trained German Sheppard's that the thief's just killed and cleaned out his house! Not that a camera system would stop them either.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• NPHuskerFL
    Options

SoCalTim said:

I did some work for a contractor in FL some years ago and he had two very good professional trained German Sheppard's that the thief's just killed and cleaned out his house! Not that a camera system would stop them either.

Yet another example of why we have and need Stand Your Ground or The Castle Doctrine. Granted you'd have to be home to be effective. These types of people are human garbage and they infest like cockroaches. It is a law abiding armed citizen that can stop a thug like this. Kill my dog and you'd better pray for forgiveness because you will have none given by me or my family.
    Note: this statement was not intended get the folks that oppose these laws upset (that is your right). But, if the shoe fits wear it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • GeorgeS
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ yep a lot of systems now have that option and the cameras are cloud based. The only problem is they are limited in the amount of recording time and it is usually recording trigger based on an event or motion. Most are only giving you 20-45 second video clips not full time recording. You also have limited storage as well so you need to manage how much information is being recorded on a monthly basis. They are great for convenience but not for full time video surveillance.

@SGH‌ I would really consider going a little better route if you are going to install a system and you have a pretty good DIY budget. That would be a hard system to pull off paying a professional installer at that budget but if you DIY at that budget you can install a very nice system. The problem with those built in a box systems is you absolutely get what you pay for. The wires are also a lot more difficult to run because they are pre terminated lengths attached to the camera already in most cases. So you stuck with what they have you in length. You will either have way to much or not enough in most cases. I cannot tell you how many of these systems I have replaced over the years. Unfortunately people put them in for a reason in most cases and they usually fail to do the job.
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    I'm looking in on getting a system myself, first for my second home that stays empty at various times. Access to the cameras via smartphone/computer/tablet is a must. I'm looking into some of the Swann systems, but have read of some folks having trouble connecting via a windstream modem. This system will be hard wired to the modem. Anybody had trouble with routers? Do you have to have a dedicated IP address for a wired system?
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!