Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night in my Home (Chimichurri Sirloin Steak)

Options
The last night in my home and I asked the wife what she wanted for dinner a few nights ago and she said surprise me. I had a mason jar of some Chimichurri I had made up a few weeks ago so I bought a sirloin steak and vacuum sealed it with the Chimichurri a few days ago. Cooked indirect with a few pieces of pecan till I hit 110 internal. I took off and let them rest on my cutting board with some left over Chimichurri. Got egg up to around 600 and seared both sides for a slight char. I went a tad over and got them medium but still was awesome.

Served with some spinach and a mushroom risotto. Meal was fantastic for our last night in our home. The crazy thing our house sold so fast and our plans fell through with the other house we are now homeless. Lucky we have a lake house 50 miles from our home and it looks like we are staying there for a few months. Sucks for my wife because she has to commute (I work from home). I'm loading up the egg and a few cooking essentials and taking it to the lake, everything else is going Into storage.imageimageimageimage

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    So its the last night in your home and you burned her steak???? Well done.

Little Rock, AR

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    That steak looks good from here. Good luck on finding a house. I would say living on the lake and working from home would have it's advantages!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I was just teasing. Don't mind me.

Little Rock, AR

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That steak looks awesome!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    How bout that chimichurri recipe? That stuff looks great. I've never made any.

Little Rock, AR

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nicely done. On the bright side, it's much nicer to be in your position than the other way around - moved into new house and old house is lingering for sale. Been there and it ain't fun.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌ Sorry about measurements but I'm a grab and go kind of cook and a measurement cup in my house doesn't exist. This is kinda what I do and you can alter as you go. 
    2 cups Italian parsley leaves 4 medium garlic cloves, smashed 1/4 cup packed oregano 1/4 cup red wine vinegar 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes 1/2 teaspoon salt Freshly ground black pepper 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Dude, I'm a chimichurri whore.  Love the stuff.  Looks good but you don't need the reverse sear, it cooks in no time and you want to dedicate the heat for the outside sear. For steaks marinated with the sauce, scrape as much of it off as you can an incinerate it on the hottest effin' fire you can muster for a couple minutes then let it cool down.  I mean hot.  Skip the pre-cook.  Do a test cut, if it's too rare, tent it - It'll cook more.

My brother is in the same boat with his house.  Just closed, camping out.

Options
    So....when should we come visit you at your lake house?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Solid work for your last night at home. Have fun at the lake... is there any water in yours?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Solid work for your last night at home. Have fun at the lake... is there any water in yours?
    It's going down by the day.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Might want to start referring to that as the beach house!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ I will remember that one when I do one up again next week for my neighbors at the lake.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    I also live in Dallas and it is crazy how fast homes are selling.  Is that Lake Kiowa?

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    The steaks look good to me. Sorry that your plans feel through for the new house, but at least you sold yours. 

Over here in my neck of the woods the housing market is at a stand still. I have a fortune in mine and thankfully I don't plan on selling for another 10 years. I told my wife that if the market hasn't improved by then I am going to try to get a permit from the city and just have them bury me in the back when I die. I have so much money in it I might as well stay here forever. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    @Scott805‌ Eagle Mountain Lake, North of Ft Worth.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I could think of a lot worse places to "slum it" while looking for a new pad!!  Cook looks awesome....chimichurri is incredible. Thanks for sharing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    @griffin might have a party for the 4th or 5th not sure yet.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.