Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Odd thermapen use

yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
We don't have a thermometer to check fevers in our house, even with two kids, so I broke out the thermapen and used orally. Gotta watch the point, especially if used rectally! And no fever...
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• Personally I would have felt for a warm forehead.  Pointy Thermapen?  I don't need to know the exact temp that bad. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    The point on a thermapen is way too sharp for this to be safe.  I've poked myself (and bled) just washing it not carefully enough once.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    IR on forehead or tongue works (I guess). I'm not so sure I'd use a TP for that.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Please don't do this. You're asking for trouble. . And definitely don't try it on the kids.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Wouldn't use it orally because of the point. Maybe an armpit temp, but would still be concerned. If you have kids get an ear thermo.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I used mine to temp water for pizza dough and the final dough temp tonight. Water was right, dough temp was wrong. Not sure why, perhaps me being on vacation and drinking contributed.... Hope the dough works...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    I'm assuming you are joking. As a mom and a teacher, a kiss on the back of the neck is all you need to know if a fever is about.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Ok, clarification, I didn't use this on the kids. I used it on myself and was careful with the point. We don't have a thermometer because we believe in fevers and don't try to use meds to bring them down. They're there for a reason so let your body do it's thing.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    The only butt my Thermopen is going in is a pork butt.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    yzzi said:

Ok, clarification, I didn't use this on the kids. I used it on myself and was careful with the point. We don't have a thermometer because we believe in fevers and don't try to use meds to bring them down. They're there for a reason so let your body do it's thing.

Trust me on this one. If you have a high fever for more than a day. With bad chills. And a part of your body swells up (leg); go to the doctor get the anti biotic for the infection. You don't want to lose a body part or your life.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Don't see what's so odd about it. I've had my green ThermoPop for about 2.5 months and still check the temp on everything, even myself. Never rectally though, that'd be gross. I'm sure the newness will wear off someday. I like comparing the room temperature to my thermostats reading. My palm compared to temp taking orally with the ThermoPop(about 3-4 degrees different). Glass of milk. The list goes on and on. I'm sure there's plenty more on the forum that take or have used their Thermopens or ThermoPops to take their temp. Even if only for fun.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    yzzi said:
    I believe in fevers too, had a bad one when I was very little & lost most of my hearing because of it.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Definitely weird way of using your TP. Congratulations!!  :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @yzzi, I did this a couple of months back. You do need to be careful of the point! 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia