Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Custom Knives

Options

At the SoCal Eggfest, John Ruloph, who gave two killer presentations (ribs and briskets), had two very striking knives that he used in his demos.  Afterwards, I spoke with him and asked about his knives, among other things.  He gave me the contact info for the knife maker: Damascus Chef Knives on Facebook.  I thought these knives would be a lot more expensive than they were - they were very reasonable.  Looks like quality construction - 1095/15N20 which is popular  for damascus.  There is a downside, in that the blade needs to be kept oiled.  But they are wicked sharp, and beautiful!!  I just received mine yesterday.  He has several others that I'm interested in.  There are some absolutely beautiful cleavers.

Santa Paula, CA

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Sweet looking.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Nice looking knives.  I did a google and found Kramer in W and as few other "Damascus".  where did you get yours? TIA
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I had my eye on those at the show as well nice find.. @tksmoke
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    On Facebook "Damascus Chef knives" is the account name. As far as I can tell this is how he does business. John Ruloph said he was OK, so I gave him a try,and everything was as advertised. The cost is very reasonable, and they look to be well made.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Does he have a separate site? I don't use Facebook.
  • tksmoke
    Options
    Not that I know of. I thought that was strange, I'm not a FB user either, but I do have an account. I think it may be a new business model for the "social" world. Tom = dinosaur!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Does he have an email I can contact him through?
  • tksmoke
    Options
    @Eggcelsior - Not that I know of. He uses IM on Facebook. Brave new world? I don't know. I'll ask him and see what he says.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Can you tell us how you went about ordering? I don't see any info on the FB page.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Those are very cool, do you know if he does his own rolling of the Damascus or is it engineered by some far off country.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have never seen a true Damascus that is close to affordable. Minimum $500 for a cheap 8". You can get the Damascus plated in nickel like shun and all the other manufacturers do but that's just a steel core Damascus plated blade. Any top quality Damascus you can expect to pay several hundred an inch. I got on the waiting list for a Kramer 3-4 years ago just to see when they might be available and still haven't heard when I might have a chance to spend $3k on a 8" chef. Did you choose those knives or was it a package they offered? Just asking because people don't usually buy a cimeter and boning knife. I have been looking for a cimeter.
  • tksmoke
    Options
    @GeorgeS - it works by IM - message him with a question - he's normally very good about getting right back.  I haven't really used Facebook all that much, but it works well.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tksmoke
    edited June 2014
    Options

@Lit - you are absolutely correct.  These knives have a 1095 core, with 264 layers of 15N20 high carbon steel w/nickel.  Can you compare it to a $3,000 knife - no way.  But they are very nice to look at, and the 1095 will take and hold an edge.  They aren't so expensive that you don't want to use them.  In fact they are much less than the Shuns.  I also was interested in a cimeter, and yes, these were sold as a set.  I've already got quite a bit of use out of the boning knife, it fills a gap in my arsenal.

Santa Paula, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No such thing as new real Damascus steel. That's a lost process.
    Options

Not completely true. They're pretty sure they know the process. But whether they do or not the high quality Damascus they make now is better than anything made prior.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    4Runner said:

Sweet looking.

I'm going to respond to your email today. Apologize for delay.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

This guy makes some of the best and most popular Damascus.
    Boom
  • tksmoke
    Options

Thanks for your response FoF.  These knives are super sharp out of the box, seem to hold the edge well, get oohs and ahs from the peanut gallery, and are very affordable,  Are they as good as some of the highly rated, high dollar, custom knives?  Not a question that really concerns me.  These knives are to use and enjoy, not to have hidden away. 

The whole knife game is very much like every other endeavor where a group of loyal followers extolls the virtues of this product or that.  What does a knife do?  It cuts stuff.  If the blade can be sharpened to where it cuts cleanly and can hold the edge more than 5 minutes, it doesn't matter if it comes from a garage sale, a restaurant supply store, some whacky kid hoping to get rich on a multi-level marketing program, the internet, Williams-Sonoma, or Bob Kramer.  Some folks like the patterning of what is called Damascus - I do.  I have some beautiful Shuns.  They are also very sharp, and hold their edge well.  I use them daily.  I also use my 40 year old Chicago Cutlery knives that require much more attention to keep sharp. 

Sorry for writing the great American novel here.  Once again, stepping offa my soapbox...

Santa Paula, CA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    One of his straight razors would help with the bleeding/fleecing from Gillette replacement blades. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @TKSMOKE Those knives do look really nice. They look more like the expensive damascus than the Shuns do since they aren't all shiny nickel they have the carbon mixed in. If you don't mind asking how much was the Cimeter? Also do you have to oil the blade or just make sure it doesn't sit around wet? I have several high carbon knives and as long as they don't sit wet and you dry and wash them after use they are fine.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    I don't Facebook either and have no desire to ever set up an account.  I used my wife's account to send him a message and asked him to email me.  If that's not ok, then I'll have to pass.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Focker said:
    One of his straight razors would help with the bleeding/fleecing from Gillette replacement blades. 
    I do not have steady enough hand for a straight razor ha. One of my buddies who makes knivs for a living makes a sweet straight razor though. I stopped using gillete and the like over a year ago and switched to double edge safety razor. one of the best movies i ever made. better shave, drastically cheaper. I use a badger brush and shave cream and bowl to make my lather. very happy with decision. 
    Boom
  • tksmoke
    Options
    @Lit - You do need to keep the blade oiled - I use olive oil, but almost anything will do. On the blade forums they recommend Camelia oil.  I think there's a law against that in California.  I'd rather not post the price - Contact him.  I'm guessing you think I paid much more for it than I did.  The knives are beautiful and comparatively inexpensive.  I almost had enough left in my piggy bank to buy a cleaver.  By the way, Camelia oil is legal in Ca, I just made that part up...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tksmoke
    Options
    @Cssmd27 - did you hear back?  His email address is Karoljude@gmail.com 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    tksmoke said:
    @Cssmd27 - did you hear back?  His email address is Karoljude@gmail.com 
    Sure did!  We're discussing things right now.  Not sure what direction I'm going to go since this discussion has led me down the proverbial rabbit hole regarding Japanese knives.  Yet another (potential) hobby to spend money on......  Let's see, wine, coffee/espresso, BGE, beef, bourbon, molecular gastronomy equipment....  sure, throw high end cutlery on there, why not?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

Yes it is a lost art but some guys are still out there rolling steel.

But this guy is still making some amazing pieces.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tksmoke
    Options

I have a few Damascus knives - some Shuns , a Goko Gyuto from Chefsknivestogo, and the knives above.  All use the same process of a hard core, with layers of the softer steel outside.  I was having trouble visualizing how these knives were made.   Here's a link to a youtube video that even I can understand.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufS-1eduLtY  It gives you a real appreciation for the knife makers skill and art.

Santa Paula, CA