Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portability of a MBGE?

Options
For those of you who own or have experience, how portable is the Medium?  I was looking to add to my LBGE and was initially planning on a small so that I could take it to tailgates, friends' places, camping, etc., but have come across a pretty good deal for a MBGE.  Is it at all feasible for me to be moving one of these around from time to time?

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Wait for the mini max
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Two_Down
    Two_Down Posts: 74
    Options
    How much is that going to run and when is it supposed to hit markets?  The Medium I found is used and seems like a steal.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You can move the medium with 2 people easily, or 1 and struggle. "Time to time" I would do it, but any more and I'd go smaller.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If you plan to move it frequently then I highly recommend buying a "Pot Lifter" for under $30. My wife and I can carry our medium with ease and I can use it to carry my small by myself like a duffle bag!

My small dressed up in my Pot Lifter! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    From what I was told late July early aug. As far as a med. Unless you have a huge basement on your motor home it won't fit so you would have to bring it inside to transport and for me lifting a 100 be egg in and out would be a no. I was told price between a mini and a small so prob. Around 450
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Moving the Medium is a two person job although you won't need to take it apart. You should get a device or cradle to carry it as @RRP suggests.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • RRP
    Options
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    It's not something you would want to transport on a regular basis. It's over 140 lbs empty. Lifting it is a trip to the emergency room, unless you have assistance.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • RRP
    edited June 2014
    Options
    tksmoke said:
    It's not something you would want to transport on a regular basis. It's over 140 lbs empty. Lifting it is a trip to the emergency room, unless you have assistance.
    Excuse me but I believe BGE says a medium is just 114, but as I said above a Pot Lifter used by 2 people make it a breeze and neither my wife nor I are big "strong like ox" people! LOL.
  • Two_Down
    Options
    Man I am conflicted now...stupid need for instant gratification....

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I would suspect something similar to the Egg Carten could be built but I feel it would be a strong man or a friend to help lift it in and out of a vehicle if you had to move it far.  I can handle the cardboard shipping box with the Medium Egg inside but another person would sure make it easier.  The Egg Carten style device with its' handles would help a lot to make it much more portable.  The ideal might be to put a pair of rings/ubolts on each side and run carry handles through them and carry it like a litter or stretcher being able to use both hands to lift and both folks walking forward.  Doing something similar to this would probably make it possible to transport a Large without too many issues depending on terrain.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Potlifter like @RRP suggested.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Two_Down
    Options
    Is it the weight or the unwieldiness of the egg that causes the difficulty?  I powerlift in my spare time, if weight is an issue.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• RRP
    Options
    Two_Down said:
    Is it the weight or the unwieldiness of the egg that causes the difficulty?  I powerlift in my spare time, if weight is an issue.
    Then for you maybe 114 pounds with your arm inside with the dome open and your hand gripping the lower vent hole you can handle it. For the rest I recommend the PL as those two handles make griping very easy for two people using single or both hands.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Instant gratification. Buy the med. Then get the mini max to take with. @rrp I think the 114lbs is only the egg without firebox or fire ring but idk. Don't listen to me as i only weigh 140 lbs and walk with a cane due to hip problem (caused from trying to move a med egg to any times myself). JK

Clinton, Iowa
  • Two_Down
    Options
    @RRP I wasn't intending to barehand it, was very much intending to buy the handles as you suggested.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited June 2014
    Options
    The weight isn't too bad,but there are not a lot of good grip points and it might be hot.  You could end up looking like Kwai Chang Caine from the Kung Fu TV series with Big Green Egg branded on the inside of your forearm.  It would be  a really manly thing to show off but it would read backwards,  LOL.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    Options
    Instant gratification. Buy the med. Then get the mini max to take with. @rrp I think the 114lbs is only the egg without firebox or fire ring but idk. Don't listen to me as i only weigh 140 lbs and walk with a cane due to hip problem (caused from trying to move a med egg to any times myself). JK
    LOL - I hear you and sorry I missed meeting you June 7th in Peoria, but I beat feet before you met up with Richie. I just checked and BGE still lists the medium as 113 pounds now so my 114 is stale info - probably due to the new lightweight plastic handle.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    113 should still be 500 to me though i already have the mini for camping but will add the mini max to take along as well as the mini is quite small where you can really only do 2 burgers at a time or 1 steak. Hey i might be skinny but i can eat alot.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tksmoke
    Options
    I stand corrected. My guess is that the 140 included the nest and mates. Regardless, it's awkward unless you have some sort of handles, and way too heavy for an old guy to lift alone.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I would vote "no". I have the KJ Jr, which I'm told is the equivalent of a small or what the new Mini-max will be. It's heavy. A medium for me would be way out of the question for ease of handling.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Buy the medium. Leave it at home. Buy a weber jumbo joe to travel. I have two and they travel better than my eggs.
  • tksmoke
    Options

Pot lifter looks like a handy device to have. 

Here 's a picture of my medium's first (and last) airplane ride. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Wow, tksmoke... that is an interesting way to transport the egg.  I hope that thing was secured, it if rolled forward on the seat you're going for a nose dive! 
    @-)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    You can move the medium with 2 people easily, or 1 and struggle. "Time to time" I would do it, but any more and I'd go smaller.
    PIA to move as I have a medium and would take it to neighborhood events. Best to remove the box, fire ring, grate etc.. to lighten it up.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'm 6'1" and 235lbs. 33years old.

I move it ok by myself but it ain't easy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Two_Down
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys.  Unfortunately it's a non-issue because I got snaked on the deal.  Person clammed up and the next response I got was that it had sold.

$400 for a MBGE and nest plus some tools and lump seemed too good to be true anyway....

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• badinfluence
    Options

I'm 6'1" and 235lbs. 33years old.

I move it ok by myself but it ain't easy.

Oh how it must be nice to be young....

Clinton, Iowa
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    @travisstrick‌ Well, THAT just blew all my internet preconceived notions to hell! :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy