Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ROOKIE TRYING RIBS

RICHIED777
RICHIED777 Posts: 91
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Cooking ribs for 6 on Saturday

How many LBs for 6 people?

Buying today, when do I "rub them down"?

2-2-1 method or other method?

And finnaly what is best for smoke? Do I soak them first? When do I place the chunks?

Thanks all

Comments

• RICHIED777
    edited June 2014
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367

I don't think about weight of ribs/person but rather - how many ribs will each person eat.  I'll usually eat 1/2 or 3/4 a rack in a sitting.... so for six - I'd probably do 3 or 4 racks.

Coat in yellow mustard (100% optional, but I like it), and your rub of choice Friday night (but that's again 100% optional - feel free to rub an hour before they go on the egg if you'd prefer.).

my "method" is to put them in the egg, close the lid, and leave them there until tender - probably 4+ hours @ around 250 indirect.

Smoke's your choice again, I tend to like fruity wood - cherry/apple/maple.  Soak if you want, really truly not required though.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    You have just opened Pandora's box. You will find all sorts of ideas about which way is best. What type of ribs you use will also figure into the equation. Your choices will be baby backs or St. Louis (aka Spare Ribs). And you can find lots of controversy on that topic too. Spare ribs can require more trimming before they're ready to Q. For simplicity, and not because they are the best, BB is a good choice for a first try. Personally I prefer spare ribs. For simplicity, and because no one will ever know the difference, use the turbo method. Apply your favorite rub I within 1 hour of cooking - keep the ribs as cold as possible. Stick the ribs on indirect at 350 for 1:40. Look up bend test. If anywhere near done, and they will be, sauce for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy - they'll be great. Look up turbo ribs for more info.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Rich 4 or 5 racks depending on how big of eaters they are. I like the 2-2-1 at 225 to 235 deg. I rub 1 hour before and let sit at room temp then another coat right b4 they go on. Chunks at that time. I do not soak them. I use a combo of apple and oak. Mist with either apple juice or hot water every half hour. When I wrap I use honey and butter and brown sugar meat side down. I pull after 2 hours andlook for about half inch pullback on the bone. I then go direct again misting every 15 min till the last 15 when I sauce. Any questions just call me
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    tksmoke said:
    You have just opened Pandora's box. You will find all sorts of ideas about which way is best. What type of ribs you use will also figure into the equation. Your choices will be baby backs or St. Louis (aka Spare Ribs). And you can find lots of controversy on that topic too. Spare ribs can require more trimming before they're ready to Q. For simplicity, and not because they are the best, BB is a good choice for a first try. Personally I prefer spare ribs. For simplicity, and because no one will ever know the difference, use the turbo method. Apply your favorite rub I within 1 hour of cooking - keep the ribs as cold as possible. Stick the ribs on indirect at 350 for 1:40. Look up bend test. If anywhere near done, and they will be, sauce for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy - they'll be great. Look up turbo ribs for more info.

Spot on advice!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

• One more thing...

Before you put any rub on the ribs make sure to pull the silver skin membrane off the insides. 
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • tksmoke
    edited June 2014
    Just to amplify a little. French's yellow mustard is good. Don't use any fancy Dijon - it's not there for flavor, but more to hold the rub and help build bark. Depends how much rub flavor you want. I season, apply mustard over the seasoning, and then apply rub again and pat it in. Once the meat is on, I don't open it until 1:40. No need to turn, or wrap, or anything. Remember, we're going for simple here. Don't make it any harder than necessary. You will be a barbecue god with it just like this. I use some cherry chunks and then whatever I feel like with it. Usually oak, peach is good, and sometimes hickory. You will come up with your own favorite smoke flavor profile. Do not soak the chunks.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • RICHIED777
    edited June 2014
    When do I throw the chunks on? How long will it smoke? Do I throw them right on the hot coals? And how much chips?
  • tksmoke
    edited June 2014
    I place mine in with the coals after they are lit to assure the wood gets started on a turbo cook. The smoke will have the most effect at the beginning of the cook, but will last throughout on a 2 hour cook.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • badinfluence
    Rich toss them right on the hot coals when you get the temp stable. Smoke is only effective till you get a bark anyways.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RICHIED777
    How much honey, butter and Brown sugar…and do you wrap each rack separate?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The amount you need depends on the eaters. At one time, a whole rack left me hungry. Now, a half can satisfy. That is one reason to have sides.

You can rub them anytime from now to about 45 min. before starting to cook. Myself, I don't rub earlier than 2 hours before cooking.

No major reason to cook with all the number methods. Just plop them on, and after 3 - 4 hours check to see if the surface is drying out. Mop if so. Continue mopping so the surface does not dry out, to prevent charring.

Some people like smoke, others not so much. Apple or maple is middle strong. Mix chunks or chips thru the lump before starting the fire. No soaking. Or only place some near the top of the lump for a less strong smoke flavor. Lump by itself will give a small amount of smoke flavor.
  • Search "Car Wash Mike Ribs" and follow those instructions. 

The foil wrap or the texas crutch as its often called is for more experienced folks who want to add a little something different to the taste of their ribs. Rookies may over cook ribs wrapped in foil or ruin the bark. 

Large BGE, Chicago, IL
  • badinfluence
    Rich I use enough honey to cover the aluminum foil then sprinkle brown sugar to cover the honey and a half bottle of parley squeezable butter per rack. I then put meat side down and wrap. Oh use heavy duty foil

Clinton, Iowa
  • tksmoke
    Again - for a first ribs cook, I would not foil the ribs. It is far too easy to mess up your bark. I recommend you keep it simple on the first go round. Experiment if you like, but the turbo method is simple and bulletproof. Plus you will get great ribs that will blow your guests away.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited June 2014
    I have cooked both wrapped and not wrapped, 225 and 275 but not Turbo for the last 7 years. My baby backs turn out best when I rub them at least an hour before get the Egg stable at 250 with lump and wood mixed throughout after the white smoke goes away lay the ribs bone side down for around 4 hours or so. Pick up a rack with the tongs and if they bend 45 degrees they are done. Close the vents I do mine dry and put sauce on the table but if you like sauce put some sauce on them wait around 15-20 minutes and eat. You can still cut them without them falling off the bone but when you eat them a little tug and the bone comes clean. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • badinfluence
    Rich you can always call me on dater day i will be up long before you put the ribs on.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Rich:
    If it is a bunch of firefighters, I would figure a rack each.  Of course I don't know if there is enough beer even in Milwaukee for a party like that.  I still remember the Fireman;s Picnics from when I was a volunteer and we always invited the local pros in the area. An old pal of mine, rest his soul, that was professional in Winston-Salem, North Carolina always said, "There is no way I would do a job like this for no pay."  HAHA  The only thing that kept us in the department was the can of free beer we got after a call.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Yep, you opened up a can of worms and controversy LOL.........I recommend L&S and disagree that turbo is just as good for starters. 5 hours for baby backs and 6 for spares is usually what I do at 225 degrees. If I'm cooking for people who like real tender ribs I use foil. I put meat side down and about two TBSP of Pineapple juice in each foil. I tried the squeeze Parkay and brown sugar but went back to pineapple juice in the foil. BB's usually 2-2-30-30, Spares 3-2-30-30. I rub an hour before and leave them at room temperature. Don't see any difference rubbing them overnight except my fridge doesn't stink like raw pork and rub every time I open it LOL. As you can see it all comes down to personal preference and everyone has different tastes. Don't over think it and have fun, everyone will love your ribs. Favorite smoke wood for me for pork is Cherry but I'll mix woods as well. I never use Hickory or Mesquite anymore at all but once again  thats just a personal taste issue.
    Dearborn MI
  • RICHIED777
    They turned out awesome! Thanks for all of the help!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like a winner to me. Excellent job my friend! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.