Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The reason I brine poultry

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    RRP said:
    JRWhitee said:
    We did the gargle with salt water too, I am from Rockford maybe it is an illinois thing.

LOL - could be! Born in Iowa, moved to Missouri and lost my first set of teeth in both states!
    RRP,

I'm from Missouri and I remember doing the same thing when I lost a tooth.  

Now I have only brined one bird and I did like the different flavor profile from not doing it.  Next time I may add some wine or port for even more flavor.  I may doing some this weekend, so I will let you know how it goes again.   Good topic.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    +1 on brining. Always. For flavor, juiciness and more leeway on the cook.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I have a question about brining.  Does it have to be cooked to a boil and simmered first?  Many of APL's recipes call for making a simple brine but he does not include the boil and simmer part...  I thought the boiling/simmering creates a chemical change that is needed for the brine...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I think the best way to improve the flavor of chicken is stop buying & cooking breast meat..  Thighs, legs and wings have good flavor without brining.  And you save a lot of money as a bonus.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    smbishop said:
    I have a question about brining.  Does it have to be cooked to a boil and simmered first?  Many of APL's recipes call for making a simple brine but he does not include the boil and simmer part...  I thought the boiling/simmering creates a chemical change that is needed for the brine...
    I have a complex brine recipe from John Ash that we like for Thanksgiving turkey that has to be boiled, but me personally I never boil my routine kosher salt brines.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    I think boiling and simmering is to dissolve the salt and sugar more than anything.
    Duncan, SC
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I don't boil my brine. All you need to do is stir the salt (and whatever else you are using) into cold water until disolved.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Mross said:
    I think boiling and simmering is to dissolve the salt and sugar more than anything.
    +1 and distribute the added flavorings evenly too.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited June 2014

I always brine pork chops, pork loins and roasts and spatched chicken and turkey, I typically brine for 8 to 24 hours. I also do a rinse/soak after I brine, I generally rinse the protein and re submerge in clean water for 30 minutes. It's extra work but it works for me and always taste great.

what is the effect of the clean water soak?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Cowdogs said:
    I think the best way to improve the flavor of chicken is stop buying & cooking breast meat..  Thighs, legs and wings have good flavor without brining.  And you save a lot of money as a bonus.
    They are also higher in saturated fat and sodium if that matters to you. I never brine chicken (or anything else) and my chicken, breasts and all, tastes great. As long as it is seasoned well and is not overcooked. In fact, breast meat is my favorite part! Except maybe the liver! 

To each his own.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    @Carolina Q. Except maybe the liver! 
    Love liver, chicken or otherwise.
    :D

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @Carolina Q. Except maybe the liver! 
    Love liver, chicken or otherwise.
    :D
    Especially chicken! We are in the minority though. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    I like livers but I prefer the Gizzards!
    Duncan, SC
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Anyone here try the dry-brine?  

I think it trumps traditional brines for taste, but that's all subjective.

New Brunswick, Canada

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    A local steak and seafood restaurant of some renown (Ced-Rel) serves breaded deep fried chicken livers on their appetizer tray.  Very mild flavor and there is often a competition to get them before others.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    5-7% salt, half that in sugar.  Generally 5% but if you want a quick brine closer to 7% or more.  Regular salt - sodium chloride.  Sea salt is a waste of money. 
    Isn't all salt, sea salt in reality? 
    Sea salt is all salt but all salt isn't sea salt.

Sea salt is mostly sodium chloride but it has a myriad of other salts that you don't need, and it costs more than pure salt.
    5-7% salt, half that in sugar.  Generally 5% but if you want a quick brine closer to 7% or more.  Regular salt - sodium chloride.  Sea salt is a waste of money. 
    Isn't all salt, sea salt in reality? 
    Sea salt is all salt but all salt isn't sea salt.

Sea salt is mostly sodium chloride but it has a myriad of other salts that you don't need, and it costs more than pure salt.
    And if you're watching your sodium intake, it helps not at all. Sodium is sodium.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Ragtop99 said:

I always brine pork chops, pork loins and roasts and spatched chicken and turkey, I typically brine for 8 to 24 hours. I also do a rinse/soak after I brine, I generally rinse the protein and re submerge in clean water for 30 minutes. It's extra work but it works for me and always taste great.

what is the effect of the clean water soak?

I seen Alton Brown do it on TV and he said it was to assure that it rinsed away any chance of it being too salty, I have done it this way ever since and never had a salty after taste. Give it a try, I'm brining two Turkey thighs for tonight right now.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I brined my liver last weekend. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:

I brined my liver last weekend. ..

I think pickling is different than brining. If you were drinking salty Margaritas or Bud Light with Lime, then you were brining. Drinking your usual beverages is pickling.
    Flint, Michigan
  • qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    The roast chickens from SAMs club are some of the most flavorful birds I have ever had, and they brine. I wish I knew their recipe.
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    I brine my chicken with a kosher salt/buttermilk/herb mixture. No water. Comes out juicy and with a great flavor.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Awesome post @ rrp I agree with you 100%.
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    RRP said:
    I know this subject may seem out of season when most eggers are discussing whether to brine or not, but I wanted to bring up why I brine. Fact of the matter I never heard either my Grandmother nor my Mother ever use the word brine. Just the same I grew with soaking raw poultry in a salty solution for no less than 24 hours. The reason I was told - was to draw the remaining blood out of the dressed bird. Granted, as a kid we ate fresh killed yard birds so maybe it is more necessary then, but even last Saturday when I cut open the previously frozen Cornish Game Hens I wasn't surprised when I saw the residual blood, and residual red gut traces inside. Once brined those parts and traces have become the pink in the brine I throw out and rinse off. Guess I will always brine - it's just the way I was brought up!
    I do the same salt thing with freshly butchered alligators. Meat cut from the carcass is placed in a cooler and layered with salt and ice. When the cooler is full it is tapped off with water and the lid closed. Each day the water is drained and fresh ice and water is added. After 2 or 3 days the meat is trimmed and packaged for freezing.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I posted the same question on greeneggers.com where I have been a member for 14 years now. This reply made a bunch of sense to me from "Austin Egger" whose opinion I respect. I hope I didn't PYO, Joan for carrying this over here. Joan posted...

I have read a few Posters (at the Ag School) dealing with this issue.
    The current theory is chickens are being slaughtered at a very young age and their bones have not had time to ossify completely. The heat from cooking forces the blood out of the bone and into the meat, ergo, blood is seen in the cooked-to-temp meat.
    The salt in the brine breaks down the red blood cells resulting in the pink color seen in the brine. The end result is you will not see the traces of blood in the cooked chicken.
    Why didn't we see that in the yard chickens grandma fed us? My guess is we ate yard hens that had a chance to run around and harden their bones. That is my theory until a better Poster comes along.
    Joan
    Austin TX 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2014
    Nanook said:
    I've never brined before. Is there a noticeable difference in your end product when you brine? If so , what is it? I'm not opposed to trying it, I'm just wondering if the extra step in prep is worth it.......
    Through the wonderful power of osmosis,  the brining solution is drawn into meat, replacing the water with salt water. It makes the meat jucier, and distributes salt all the way thru. It is a great technique for enhancing meats that could otherwise be dry or tough, especially if over cooked. That is why it is commonly used on chicken and turkey. 

If you do have high blood pressure, are salt sensitive, or your doc has told you to cut salt, then brining probably isn't the best technique.  But if you don't have these conditions, brining is a great way to enhance flavor. I always brine chicken breasts and I continually get comments from people that they are the moistest, best tasting that they have had.

I hadn't thought about @RRPs point about it cleaning the bird, but that definitely is an added plus.
    @CarolinaCrazy,

For clarification and not to mislead.....it is diffusion, not osmosis, as the method of transport.  Watch this video for rationale.  Better yet, watch all 4 of Jake's videos.  Have yet to see anyone give a better explanation.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• I didn't think it was osmosis. I was leaning toward mitosis or halitosis.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    My bad, it's cirrhosis. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Thanks Focker.  I'll watch them.  Just finished up a big development project at work today and celebrating so I'm in no condition to gain knowledge through osmosis, diffusion, mitosis or halitosis (eww, that's gross).  But I'm bookmarking for later.  

Fred, here's a scooby snack for ya!

Ya'll have a good night, I'm too impaired to post anymore.
    :-*
    Come on man!  You're best stuff is a fifth in. hahahahaha
    Brandon
    Quad Cities