Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg on the egg

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364

Been seeing a lot of hype recently about tossing eggs on pizza.  Figured it's been awhile since eggin' a pie post Blackstone. 

Reinhart's American-Style Neapolitan Pizza Dough.  Used wildflower honey for the yeast.  San Marzano sauce, Monterrey Jack, Cheddar, dried cilantro, aleppo, and Martinez Meat Market chorizo(so much better than the store bought crap in the tube)

550 dome, inverted platesetter, feet, stone.  7 min in tossed on 4 farm fresh eggs from the cleaning lady at work.  $5 for 3 dozen eggs, can't be beat. Broke with a toothpick after placing. 

Pretty darn tasty for a breakfast/brunch pie.  Definitely would have preferred fresh cilantro, or even some halved grape maters.  This has potential.  Will incorporate the house bacon next time.  Thanks for lookin'

imageimageimage
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Focker
    Options
    X to the Z!!!  Don't mind me, I'm in the corner rollin' the weed up. hahaha
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Out the park good..Awesome pics..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Focker
    Options
    Thanks @johnmitchell.  Felt good to get back in the saddle.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Not sure about the rap skilz... But that pizza looks really good!
  • Focker
    Options

LOL, thanks hap.  Bacon on this thing would have ruled.....next time

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Why would you put an egg on a perfectly good pie? 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Options
    Why not? :P
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Focker said:
    X to the Z!!!  Don't mind me, I'm in the corner rollin' the weed up. hahaha
    Get it Crip while the gettin' is good, before the game is 10% skill and 90% Hollywood.

He was quite the soothsayer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks incredible!  So you put the eggs on raw and they cooked perfectly with runny yolks?
    Options
    Looks incredible!  So you put the eggs on raw and they cooked perfectly with runny yolks?

Thanks @nolaeggehad,

Yeah, recently people have been tossing them on mid-cook.  Then when slicing, the egg runs all over.  Tried to limit that by puncturing the yoke after putting them on.  May have to try them whole on another run. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Focker said:
    Why not? :P
    Because pizza is sacred.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Leftover pizza for breakfast is fantastic but this brings it to a whole new level! Looks and sounds great. Now if we can figure out some hash brown crust to go with it...... ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mother pussbucket that looks great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    It actually looks really good... I was wondering about the egg on pizza but I'd try it.
  • Focker
    Options
    Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.  Stuck with the chorizo and egg on this one for starters. Steak and egg pie wouldn't suck, lots of possibilities. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Farkin' beautiful.

@CarolinaQ : There's a type of Italian pizza where an egg is cracked onto the pie, so it's not necessarily avant garde

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    There are few things that can't be improved by a well cooked egg.  That's one of my favorite things on a burger.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I did egg sandwiches using my CI griddle a few weeks ago. Spicy Italian Sausage grilled and then finished on the griddle. Used the horseradish sauce recipe from the BGE cook book from the beef tenderloin breakfast sandwich recipe.

Also added slice of beefsteak tomato and some avocado slices. Toasted the English muffin buns on the griddle as well.

Would have taken pics of the final product but they got devoured. Bunch of friends and family are coming in town for a wedding this weekend. Plan on making them Saturday morning for those who end up in our extra beds and couches from the pre party Friday night!
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Focker
    edited June 2014
    Options
    This was an oddball, but delish.  Stubbs' Original, mozz, sweet sausage, balsamic onions from Pete Evans' book, fancy pepperoni from Schnucks.  Forgot to add the onions, so they aren't the best, when hands were getttin' stung on the egg while placing.   

Diggin' Reinhart's dough for the egg.  The extra oil slick shines, leaving the crust golden brown on both ends, not burnt.  Would consider it more American style than American Neapolitan.  Still for the egg, it's now my go-to for 500 and up pies.  Used Lucini premium EVOO.  Dome was 500 and climbing in the rain.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Ya gotta try this for a pizza topping sometime

Pete Evans' Balsamic Onions

4 T OO
    2 large onions, thinly sliced
    1/2C sugar
    2/3C balsamic vinegar

Heat oil in a medium heavy-bottomed skillet over medium high heat.  Add the onions and stir for 5 min, or until just starting to carmelize.  Add sugar, and stir until dissolved.  Add vinegar, and cook over low heat for 30 min, stirring occasionally, or until the mixture is a jam-like consistency.  

Note:  Balsamic onions can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities