Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Misprint?

Options
I have been turning out some good brisket lately but I'm always looking for others ways to do it. I was looking through Myron Mixon's book "Smokin'" to see his method. I usually cook brisket at 275* and it takes on average 8-10 hours to do a 12lb brisket. Sometimes I have to foil, other times I don't. I know Mixon cooks at 350* but here is the time line he gives (for a 15-20lber)...2.5 hours of smoke, foil for 1.5 hours or until the temp reaches 205*. That's 4 hours on the grill at 350* for a 15-20 lber!!! Is this a misprint? Have any of you cooked a brisket at 350*. If so, how did it affect the time. Thx
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    i think the key here is "or until it reaches an internal temp of 205"…….that does seem quick but i think the timeline is always gonna vary depending on the hundreds of variables we all face with every cook.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    I agree with the "out" he has but still, he would want to put a time close to what he thinks is right. And I agree with you that there are hundreds of variables.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Que_n_Brew‌
    Just a quick point of interest. Brother Mixon maintains a temp of no lower than 350. Unwrapped he is between 350-375. Closer to 375 for the most part. Once wrapped he is hovering steady in the 400 degree arena. That being said his time is not unrealistic at all depending on size and meat quality along with a few other variables. And you can believe that he is cooking the highest quality brisket that money can buy. You have to remember he is giving you a recipe not all of his steps and methods that he has spent a life time learning and perfecting. Enjoy the book and his recipes my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I just saw a show he was doing cooking against Moe Cason and a couple of other fellas.  They were cooking a few things including brisket.  His was a wagyu.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wagyu benefits from a high temp cook....there's too much fat and the higher temperatures render fat out at a higher rate than a low temp cook.  You'll create a chunk of chewy leather if you use his techniques on some crappy select packer. 
    Options
    @SGH... Very well said. @FF, I've got it DVRed. @NOLA, lol...I'm lucky enough to get prime at my Costco. Not wagyu, but not some crappy select packer either. :D
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Wagyu benefits from a high temp cook....there's too much fat and the higher temperatures render fat out at a higher rate than a low temp cook.  You'll create a chunk of chewy leather if you use his techniques on some crappy select packer. 
    Thanks for posting this! I was curious in watching BBQ Pit Wars why they use Wagyu's vs prime or choice...and why they cook them fast.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    He also doesn't use an egg. Keep in mind an offset cooks a little bit different.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    He doesn't use an offset either DMW
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    @Q_n_Brew. When you get a chance go to virtualweberbullet.com and look up high heat brisket. Guys have been doing it and logging their cooks on that site for years. They do it with choice and less briskets as well. It was so popular a guys did a high heat brisket compilation so you won't have to read a thousand messages on the board as well. The original recipe is under the basic recipe section. The compilation will be found under the Barbecue forum heading..........good luck
    Dearborn MI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    You are correct my friend. Timing is without question affected by the type cooker being used. Convection, radiant heat, reflective heat , induction and draft all play a huge part in how the cooker will perform. You called that one right on the money.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Crimsongator‌ That's right, forgot that. His smokers are uprights if I remember correctly?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Don't forget. The 205 is just the point temp as that is sliced so the flat might not be fully done yet.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    I've cooked many, many full packers in the 12-18 lb range (keep in mind that's before trimming as is also likely the case with Myron) hot and fast, between 350-375 on EGGs.  I'd say timing is on average closer to 5 hours, but some have taken 4, some 6.  I mostly cook choice, CAB, or RD Superior Angus (choice).  Cooking hot and fast offer absolutely no less of a final product...and in most cases better than a traditional low and slow.  Hot and fast briskets are typically done at a higher internal temp however...again, on average at least 205 and most commonly 210-215, and as high as 220.  Never cook a brisket to temp...it's done when it's done, it will tell you when it's done when that probe goes in like butter across the whole flat.  
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Don't forget. The 205 is just the point temp as that is sliced so the flat might not be fully done yet.
    205 is likely the flat and the point would need more time!
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. @KenfromMI‌...thanks for the site. I'll check it out. So I guess I'll try hot n fast this weekend. Stay tuned...
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    it's also important to recognize the quality of meat and injection amounts in his cooks. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.