Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need thermometer advice

Options
Firemanyz
Firemanyz Posts: 907
Good evening I need some advice on what type of thermometer to put on a stick burner that me and a friend are having built. I was thinking of a TelTru. I would prefer one that is adjustable and would think it would only need to go up to 4-500 degrees. Any ideas would be great. I will attach a pic of the smoker later tonight. Thanks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Why not just go to the Tel Tru web site and investigate all the styles they offer. I believe in their world they have already invented what will serve your needs to the T.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    I was looking for anyone who may have used their thermometer on a large smoker. I was actually going to their website right after I started the post but I got sidetracked. On the way there now.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Firemanyz‌
    I'm very partial to this particular one. It does not fog up in humid environments like some of the cheaper ones and it has a large display face. I run this same gauge on 4 different units. A vertical, 2 offsets and one direct fired unit. Never had any issues or complaints. Hope this helps my friend.

imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Firemanyz
    Options
    Thanks I will look the up. Are the adjustable or able to be re-calibrated?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Any decent thermometer can be calibrated.
    Options
    Absolutely can be calibrated my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Firemanyz
    Options
    Fellas that's my biggest concern, I want to make sure what ever I pick out that they can be calibrated. I was looking through amazon but a lot don't say if they can be re-calibrated. I will keep the hunt up. @SGH‌ I looked at the pit maker web site but I can't find anywhere on there that shows them selling their thermometers.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They don't say it because they all have the dial on a ferrule and nut and they all can be calibrated.  They need some mechanism to calibrate at the factory and you can use that same mechanism to calibrate yours.  It's not an issue.  Buy a Tel-Tru or whatever, but if it cost more than $10 I can guarantee you can calibrate it.  That said, don't buy some no-name cheapo brand because the component quality may not be good and reliable.
    Options
    They sell them brother. Trust me.

Status- Standing by.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    When I worked at Costco, we used analog Taylors that had these plastic calibration pieces that could rest along a cup(we calibrated at 32). I'm pretty sure the ferrules are "industry standard" so you could even look for one of those to calibrate with.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I got some off Amazon for like $10 for 2. They don't have a nut to adjust them, but if you twist the face it can be adjusted. If I was installing on something I would use on a regular basis I would have gone Teltru, but I'm only using this for a week and I have my Maverick and Thermapen with me.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @‌Firemanyz
    Don't sure if I posted the link correct or not but if I did look at these.

http://www.teltru.com/s-43-barbecue.aspx

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Firemanyz‌
    I clicked on the link and it works. Got lucky!

Status- Standing by.

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I got two Weber bi-metal coil thermometers for my offset stick burner and they are crazily inaccurate.  My neighbor and I were doing temp testing on the cooker and had an oven thermometer and 4 electronic thermometers placed in the cooker.  The two Weber thermometers (8 months old) were consistently 50+ degrees off of the rest, even when they were placed at the same height in the cooker. 

I'm going to give the PitMakr that @SGH mention a try.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    Here is a pic of the smoker.
  • SGH
    Options
    @‌Firemanyz
    Very nice my friend. Is she tuned or baffled?

Status- Standing by.