Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing MY First Competition This weekend....wish me luck!

Options
i want to do the egg proud!  me and my buddy are heading to Barbourville, KY to compete for the first time.  He has a home made offset stick burner that we will be using for some of the stuff and we plan to use my egg for the brisket and his egg for the chicken.  I am hopeful that we have a good cook and can wave my egghead flag proudly!!!!!!  wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!
gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    good luck
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    nice !! good luck and post lots of pics
    Toronto
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    Good Luck as well
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    All the best….

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    May God bless you and I hope you well.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Good Luck and bring it home,,,
    :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    What are you cooking?
    NOLA
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Good luck!!! I think I would use that stick burner for the brisket!
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Good luck and post pics of your output!!
    Long Island, NY
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Good luck!! It's a lot of work but gratifying. I competed in my first one in April and took first place in wings using the Egg.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Good luck!
    Kemah, TX
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Good luck and post some great pics.... Enjoy!!
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Good luck! I did my first one recently as well. A lot of fun and much different than just cooking for friends and family!
    Boom
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Go into the competition expecting last place and anything better is a win. Especially being your first competition. Have fun and don't try to stress out. Good luck!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    hey thanks a bunch everyone for the warm wishes!  we don't expect anything and hope for the best!!!!   

my main goals are to get all four meats actually turned in number 1

i would love to feel like we had a good cook and what we turn in (chicken, ribs, butt and brisket) were the best we could do and feel good about it.

and lastly, it would be cool to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack…….that would be victory to me on our first time out.

i will for sure try to make sure to take lots of pics and win lose or draw i will be back to share them and the experience with you guys!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @msloan‌
    I wish y'all good luck and the very best. I'm going to go ahead and say congratulations on y'all's first place victory as I feel that y'all will win. When you are accepting that 1st place trophy remember that I was first to congratulate y'all!! Now go get em!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options

Go get 'em!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Good luck, have fun.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • msloan
    Options
    SGH said:
    @msloan‌ I wish y'all good luck and the very best. I'm going to go ahead and say congratulations on y'all's first place victory as I feel that y'all will win. When you are accepting that 1st place trophy remember that I was first to congratulate y'all!! Now go get em!!
    heck yeh, i like the way you're thinking!  
  • msloan
    Options
    thanks guys!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Good luck and have some fun!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    Have fun and enjoy the journey. When I did competition chili many years ago, I had more fun with my crew than actually winning anything.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

"Pitmasters......START YOUR FIRES!!!"

Always laugh when Myron Mixon yells that on BBQ Pitmasters and all the cooks go running toward their cookers with meat in hand.

Best of luck and have fun.....sounds like a blast.  Take pics and keep us posted.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Damn, you lucky lucky fella. I cant wait to do my 1st comp. My brother has competed a few times but he is in FL and I am in MD. sucks - but I will get some experience one day.

Good luck champ. Make sure you make time to think about the cook and make a list of everything that you will need to pack in advance, so when you get to the comp everything you need will be in place. 

Now Start you fire!!!!! lol 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Best of luck and remember to enjoy the event as it plays out. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I found presentation to be the hardest part. We scored in top 5 for every category but that and we were second to last. I am not sure how to make pulled pork look fancy in a styrofoam box...
    Boom
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Give 'em hell! Good luck!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Just did my first one, too.  Good luck, and wear comfortable shoes!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.