Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Chicken

Options
CampCook
CampCook Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We tried one tonight -- two teaspoons of cornstarch sprinkled over a spatchcocked chicken. We pirced the skin all over with a super secred skin piercer prior to adding the corn starch.
cooked at 235 degrees direct until probe in thigh reads 185 degrees ( almost exactly one hour) Was not turned. Skin was best crispy we have had on egg. Chicken was delicious. Plan on turning next one at about 40 minutes to get even more crispness.[p]This s good dudes. Give it a try...

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    campCook, OK - I'll bite - what's a "super secred skin piercer"?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CampCook
    Options
    RRP,
    Actually no secret. My wife bought this thing that has a row of sharp little wires that punch through a block. It is supposed to be used to tenderize beef. I won't use it because I maintain it forces surface cantaminents to enter the interior of the meat. After that I would have to cook the meat well done. Of course, it works for chicken because you cook those to high temps. It did a very nice job of piercing the skin. Sorry to lead you astray
    Dave

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    campCook,
    Appreciate the post. I'm sure there are several of us anxious to try this. It sounds really great!

• CampCook
    Options
    campCook,
    OOPS -- should have said 335 degrees instead of 235. That would probably work but take more than an hour.
    dave

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    RRP,
    Ron, I think its one of these, that you can buy at some specialty cooking stores. I saw one Tuesday at the Mall of America.[p]later,
    Ron [p]p.s. Enjoy retirement! (We'll be leaving for Brownsville TX in 3 weeks!)

[ul][li]Meat Tenderizer[/ul]
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Hi Ron
    I ve had the model of this that has three rows of little knives for years. I use it in beef all the time . I never really thought about the condaminents. One thing though I tend to use on pot roast and cuts like that that I slow cook and the internal temp gets quite high. Look under meat tenderizers on google and you'll find them. Good idea about the chicken. Also try putting some perserves (apricot or plum) on the bird and it should crisp up and taste good too. If you can't find the tenderizer tell me and I'll find it for you.
    billyg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    campCook,[p]This works on halves or pieces too. Here is a link to an earlier thread. There are some pictures of starched thighs.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    [ul][li]Cornstarch[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    corn starch is used on Tempura dishes, to make them crispy when deep-fried
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RRP,
    I have one of these and they work really good Ron.
    Larry

[ul][li]Jaccard Neat Tenderizer[/ul]