Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WHEN DID BGE...?

Options
I recently bought a LG BGE that had been on the show room floor for quite some time. I was wondering when BGE changed the side tables from two pieces of wood per side (rectangular, not rounded edges) to 4 per side, when the handle was changed from a small one to a longer one, when the nuts and bolts on the hinge went from silver to black, and when the "Big Green Egg" logo on the front whent from indented to raised letters.  Thanks to all in advance for this info. I've seen many variations of the Egg and was wondering about the dates of manufacture.
Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021

Comments

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    The Ceramic Grill Store mentions changes with the fire ring (3 notches vs 5) for their spider that were effective Fall 2012. I'm guessing the changes happened around then. Of course, some people may have gotten new "old style" eggs since then.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • egger911
    egger911 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks ads75. I have the 5 notch fire ring. My side tables each have two rectangular pieces of wood on them that measure 5 1/2 by 16. I don't see this type of side table on many eggs.  Was wondering when they changed over to the four pieces of wood per side.
    Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021
  • egger911
    Options
    If yours looks like this, can you tell me what year you bought it.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I have had my egg for several years and was wondering are the egg "wings" worth the purchase or am I better off finding a table about the same height as the egg to out beside it ?
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • egger911
    Options
    IIrickman: the wings came with my Egg package, but a decent table next to the Egg would serve the same need.  The wings ARE convenient because they are right there when you need them.  Your call.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think it is cool that the BGE is engraved on the dome. Mine is raised and was bought in 2007 I am pretty sure.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • egger911
    Options
    Mattman: Thanks for the year of purchase.  That's the kind of info I'm looking for.  
  • egger911
    Options
    I watched a video dated 2008 that had the side tables like mine (2 pieces of wood per side instead or the 4 pieces per side) for you long time owners, does that date sound right, or maybe it was made earlier and just the video was filmed in 2008? Thanks again for any help.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I can't speak for all the changes, but I got my mini back in the fall of 2012 and it had the black hardware on it already.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    The change to a larger handle happened in early 2012.  I believe the hardware change from silver to black happened at the same time.  I don't know about the side tables or indented logo.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • egger911
    Options
    R2Egg2Q: Thanks for the info. It seems a lot of changes happened in 2012.
  • egger911
    Options
    Found another video of an Egg that looks like mine (don't know the date). Any owners of Eggs that look like the one in my picture in my post above, who can tell me when purchased it would be greatly appreciated. The two pieces of rectangular (not rounded) wood on each side table seems to be unique. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    My two friends got lg's. One in 2012 and one in 2011. Both have the big handle. I got an xl in 2010 and it had the small handle. I believe the xl had the big handle in 2010 but mine had been on the showroom floor for a long time. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think the key would to find out when the Big Green Egg was engraved and not a raised symbol. My large is 7 or so yes old and I bought my small last summer and both have the raised symbol. Yours is the first time I noticed one being inset or engraved.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • egger911
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Thanks Mattman3969. I was thinking mine was built in 2008, but maybe it was earlier.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    As always, I'm amused by the idea that having a "newer model year" is so desirable.

Really? Two pieces of wood or three will make a difference?

I bought mine in 1998 and I'll bet mine cooks every bit as well as any one built recently.

Shudup and cook boy!
    ;)
  • egger911
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @Sundown, there's a bit of a misunderstanding here. I actually like the older stuff ( I have Webers that are 16 and 40 years old that I am proud of and keep them in great shape). I am mostly just curious as to how long this was on my dealers show room. I dont see many like mine in pictures or videos so I just wondering about the manufacturing date, that's all. I got a large with nest, side tables, clean out tool, and other stuff (package"A") for $550 plus tax because it had been on the floor for years and wanted to get rid of it. I was the lucky one who got it!
  • egger911
    Options
    Sorry to keep bothering everyone on this forum, but like I said in my last post, I'm just trying to figure out how old my Egg is. (I like old stuff.) I have seen lots of videos and pictures, and it looks like mine was manufactured about 2006 (? + -). The two pieces of wood per side seems to be a clue, plus the indented logo, and silver nuts and bolts on the hinge on the back. If you have any information on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    No bother just a little bump. Sometimes with my travel schedule I miss several days but I'm bit patient enough to read to the later pages!
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    mines a 2002, i believe its the only year that the handle was welded to the cheap mexican band, after this edition bands were made in the us. it also has the rivet in the dome that you can see behind the handle that keeps the dome from falling off. the letters are resecced

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egger911
    Options
    @fishlessman, That picture is awesome, it could be a postcard.  And, I love the green paint that matches your Egg.
  • egger911
    Options
    Thanks again to all who helped me determine the age of my Egg. It looks like 2008 was the date of manufacture. If anyone has a different theory I'd love to hear it. This board, and you guys are great. Thanks for helping a new egg owner.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    egger911 said:
    Thanks again to all who helped me determine the age of my Egg. It looks like 2008 was the date of manufacture. If anyone has a different theory I'd love to hear it. This board, and you guys are great. Thanks for helping a new egg owner.
    Seems like you could call BGE headquarters and just give them the serial number and they could tell you.
    NOLA
  • egger911
    Options
    @buzd504 I tried that, but they said the serial numbers are not sequential so they couldn't help with that info.