Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza lesson tonight

anzyegg
anzyegg Posts: 1,104
Went to a lesson on cooking Pizza where I bought my Egg at Fireside grills in Augusta, GA.... About 35-40 folks cooked up personal pizza's and they cooked up some others on a few eggs and Tek grill... Lots of different toppings and all came great.... Purchased a pizza stone and peeler... Will cook some up sometime soon...

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Tips? What temp did you cook at? Make your own dough?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• anzyegg
    They cooked around 650 or so. Pizza dough was purchased from the pizza joint. Way better than dough from Publix...use parched paper and a good pizza stone. Make sure you burp at those high temps and use place setter legs down...
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I've been wanting to get a pizza stone and try some out. Its one thing I haven't made yet. Pizza just isn't on my diet right now is all.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    anzyegg said:

They cooked around 650 or so. Pizza dough was purchased from the pizza joint. Way better than dough from Publix...use parched paper and a good pizza stone. Make sure you burp at those high temps and use place setter legs down...

The Publix dough is not bad but, it isn't for high temps (500℉-550℉ is okay but, higher not so much because of the sugar content).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Why did they recommend legs down? Did they place the pizza stone directly on plate setter. I've heard mixed reviews about doing that for multiple pizzas in a row.
    Dearborn MI
  • Captpablo
    Captpablo Posts: 63

The goal is the get the pizza as high in the dome as possible.  This will cook the top of the pizza evenly giving its that cooked look. Slightly browned cheese and toppings.  I did legs down until I bought a new rig from CGS. I'd say they both work well. My new rig get's the pie a little higher in the dome.

Temp - everyone has an opinion on temp and really depends on your dough. I always start at 550/600.  Hotter is not always better.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    KenfromMI said:
    Why did they recommend legs down? Did they place the pizza stone directly on plate setter. I've heard mixed reviews about doing that for multiple pizzas in a row.

I've had no issues doing multiple pies with that classic setup.  Inverted platesetter, green feet, stone.  Topping doneness is subjective, and cooking both that and the crust is a balance.  You can get too high in the dome as well.  This setup is just right for me and the NY style dough used for the egg at fests. 

#1 tip....make your own dough.  NY style is only 6 ingredients, Neapolitan even less.  Lahey's no knead is also classic.  All you need is a bowl and spoon. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Focker said:

KenfromMI said:

I've had no issues doing multiple pies with that classic setup.  Inverted platesetter, green feet, stone.  Topping doneness is subjective, and cooking both that and the crust is a balance.  You can get too high in the dome as well.  This setup is just right for me and the NY style dough used for the egg at fests. 

#1 tip....make your own dough.  NY style is only 6 ingredients, Neapolitan even less.  Lahey's no knead is also classic.  All you need is a bowl and spoon. 

I'd eat that. Looks great
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

@badinfluence,

Thanks man, just takes a little trial and error to find the sweet spot.  The temp will climb some when doing multiples from the opening/closing, but not enough to make a difference in finished product.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• KenfromMI
    Ok, yeah I have my grate raised with bricks so I guess we are achieving the same thing almost. I was just curious if the stone was right on the plate setter but it sounds like you use the legs so it's not. 
    Dearborn MI
  • anzyegg
    We bought the dough at a local pizza place which made things easier....$1.50 for a personal 7 inch and $3.00 for the 14 or 16.., well worth it....
  • anzyegg
    Hey KenfromMI, the grill was on the plate setter and the stone on that. Your pizza looked fantastic... Why are you cooking NY pizza in a Chicago Bears shirt??? Just kidding, the Bears should be good this year man. Enjoy!!
  • KenfromMI
    I think that was for Focker, I'm a Lions fan definitely not a Bears fan lol
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Re read.......disregard LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @anzyegg‌
    You are going to have to come over and demonstrate that pizza lesson to me! I need all the pointers that I can get on pizza.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.