Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father's Day- went and looked at XXL and came home to make NY Strip Steaks

Options

I did New York strips from Costco for I think $7.99/lb, maybe it was $8.99/lb yesterday.  Almost went with PRIME beef they had for $15.99/lb but these strips looked so good I decided to get more meat for less money.  Results were insanely great.  it is always incredible to enjoy the results off the BGE versus overpaying at a restaurant or cooking on another grill.

Also, went to local BBQ distributor yesterday to get a few essentials (dome thermo, gasket, BGE covers) and saw the XXL on display.  That thing is big and heavy and unless i'm running a commercial operation, I wouldn't need it.  The things that really struck me about the XXL were the thickness of the grill grates and the size of the plate setter. You'd have to have a place to put the PS when not using it but I think that the XXL would look awesome in my back yard, but I really don't have a use for it-unless I get into the catering business.  If CGS made a rig setup for it so you could have at least two levels, I can easily see making 12 shoulders at once- and that's with minimal shielding at the hot spots.  With additional effort, I can see how you could make 18-22 shoulders with a multigrid setup.  I am really tempted but laying out $4500 to make that much shoulder would be something i'd need maybe three times per year.  I'd almost rather have another XL and L so that I could run multiple units at once and make different things.

But, the XXL is impressive and having one would be more a function of want rather than need- and I gotta keep momma happy so I won't be getting one at this time.  Maybe BGE has a hard time moving them and they decide to lower prices.  I did re-look at a small and I CAN'T wait until the minimax gets delivered.  that will be super exciting because that grid size will work for most of the mobile applications I need as well as enhance the efficiency factor of my charcoal usage.  See the picts of the steaks on and the whole heap o'roasted garlic.  After the garlic cooks for about an hour, I pull it off and let it sit.  Then I open up the lower vent and take the daisy wheel off the top.  The temp of the L went from 400 to 700 in about five minutes.  I usually make the steaks indirect (using platesetter or spider and stone setup from CGS) but decided to go direct on the cast iron grate.  Not the best steaks I've ever made but pretty close.  before putting the meat on, I turned back the inlet and put the daisy wheel back on to get around 600F.

Did I mention that I LOVE the BGE?

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    They are not having any problems selling the xxl as there is a waiting list right now and mine arrives at my dealer tomorrow morning but don't know if they are delivering it tomorrow or not but I'm going to be there at 8 am to meet the truck
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    there's a store in AZ called BBQ Island that has an unsold, assembled one on display!
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Lately at the Costco by me the Choice look as good as the Prime, it's a win win. They have really been getting great looking New York Strips in.
    Dearborn MI
  • westernbbq
    Options

Choice Strips at Costco are the best deal around. I've never had a bad one- and they've been enhanced since I learned to cook on the BGE with the cast iron grid.

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Do the Costco labels still say in small print that they've been tenderized with injection needles (I can't remember the exact wording)? I stopped buying their beef with that process because it could inject bacteria from the surface into the meat.

But if your meat is gonna make you sick, Costco steaks are the way to go!
    Judy in San Diego
  • westernbbq
    Options
    i never knew that they tenderized their meats with injection needles.  and, I've never had a problem- even when cooking RARE, which is the best way to enjoy red meat!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @westernbbq‌
    That's some mighty fine looking grub you got there my friend. Excellent job! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I buy the whole cryovacced loin or rib at Costco and cut and re- vac pack myself. It's a little cheaper, and I can em how I want.
    GWN
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Thanks SGH.  Cooking on the BGE has been a discovery of a dimension of cooking that is so enjoyable, well , I just can't believe it.