Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cheese smoking

hello gurus I am about to do some cold smoking with an amaz n smoker to smoke some cheese, how long should a guy smoke for?  should I light both ends or just one?  what flavors of smoke work well with an assortment of cheese?  the only thing I know for sure is to vacuum pack it and mellow it for 4 weeks or so in the fridge.

Thanks

Scott
Large BGE
BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited June 2014
    Don't consider myself a guru but I smoke with soldering iron and wood chips in a tin can, sorry can't offer advice on amaz n smoker.  Usually smoke 1.5 to 2 hours max. I've smoked with just apple, cherry or hickory chips; my latest was blend of small apricot chunnks (from neighbour's tree), pecan chips and sugar maple pellets, they were all good. Experiment with different chips. I also put a tray of ice cubes between the smoke source and the cheese.  I'm long overdue to smoke an assortment of cheese that has been in the fridge for too long!  
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The amaz-n-smoker can generate insane amounts of smoke, too much smoke in my opinion.    Don't fill it up all the way and start a big fire.  You want a couple hours of smoke.  If you could get less smoke, going longer would be fine.   Only light one end.  Definitely a heat shield, or run that smoker in a crate or box and McGyver the smoke into the egg or whatever to keep the heat down.   You get better smoke if there's a chance for the smoke to condensate the nasty stuff out before it hits your food.  I had better results with the dryer vent into my smoker than the amaz-n-smoker in my smoker.   Hope that helps.  Yeah, you're right about aging the smoked cheese.
    1.5 hours of smoke and use a plate setter or some other indirect method. After finishing, vac seal and put in the fridge for a week or two before enjoying.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    +1 on the soldering iron/can method and the 1.5 to 2 hour times given in general (never used the Amaz-n-smoker)

Another thing, make sure you are super-extra sanitary in all phases of handling the cheese.  Pathogens from hands is one of the main reasons the cheese will go bad more quickly.  This cheese will be so good you'll want it to last! 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    this time of year, good chance you'll need a pan of ice to keep things cool.  If the cooker temp pops 100 F, the cheese can become soft and sweats - not what you want. 

smaller chunks with more surface is best.  more surface area means more absorption area.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    tjv said:
    this time of year, good chance you'll need a pan of ice to keep things cool.  If the cooker temp pops 100 F, the cheese can become soft and sweats - not what you want. 

smaller chunks with more surface is best.  more surface area means more absorption area.  

t
    Good point. Depending on what part of the country you are in, might want to wait til the sun goes down.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Thanks for all the advice. I live in Saskatchewan Canada and at this time of the year I don't have to worry about it being to hot outside, it probably would only get to the high 80's at most.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• bigalsworth
    Does anyone have any suggestions on vent settings?
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I have found that the AMNS doesn't really add any heat to the egg when I have done bacon. If the needle on the thermo has moved it was so minute. So unless your starting your smoke at 90+ F you should be fine.
  • hondabbq
    @bigalsworth I just run with the bottom and top vents wide open. I found with them closed down the lack of air flow puts out the pellets.
  • bigalsworth
    well I think I blew it my first time.  must have gotten some heat even tho it did not show on the probe.  lots of sweating and a little bit of melting and it was only 70 deg outside.  I am going to come up with a way to have the smoke flow through ice, I think a few of my friends who smoke a lot of weed might be able to come up with something handy.  Those type of guys are genius' when it comes to smoke.

here is a picture of something I believe I did do right a couple days ago.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• bigalsworth
    @hondabbq how does a person get a hold of your bbq sauces, the Fire-roasted Jalepeno and Chive looks awesome.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I did my first cold smoke in January and used my maverick to monitor temp in the smoker (a brinkmann vertical bullet). 70 deg in the smoker, 25F outside. I find the AMNPS does add some heat.

The longer the cheese ages, the better it is. Make lots.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

Thanks for all the advice. I live in Saskatchewan Canada and at this time of the year I don't have to worry about it being to hot outside, it probably would only get to the high 80's at most.

Damn! That's our 2am temp here. Although it's the 70s-80s like 70% of the year so no complaints. But, maybe when I do the cheese especially in the summer it would be best at night. Good tip.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    This post just got weird... That doesn't look like cheese either. 
    well I think I blew it my first time.  must have gotten some heat even tho it did not show on the probe.  lots of sweating and a little bit of melting and it was only 70 deg outside.  I am going to come up with a way to have the smoke flow through ice, I think a few of my friends who smoke a lot of weed might be able to come up with something handy.  Those type of guys are genius' when it comes to smoke.

here is a picture of something I believe I did do right a couple days ago.

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • hondabbq
    @bigalsworth - Are you close to Regina? Butcher Boy Meats carries our products.
  • bigalsworth
    @hondabbq my wife's parents live in Regina so we go every so often, I will have to go to Butcher Boy Meats next time we are there and grab a few bottles.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• hondabbq
    edited June 2014
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I put a 5000 BTU air conditioner in a cabinet I made and, viola, cold smoker.  I can maintain 60F on the hottest of days. 

imageimageimage
    @nolaegghead that is unbelievable.  I mean UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

You ought to sell those things

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • @hondabbq I happen to be in Regina and I went to look for the Butcher Boys and pick up your bbq sauce, but much to my dismay there is two Butcher Boys and they are not affiliated whats so ever.  I also couldn't remember the name of the sauce and came on here with my phone to look for your link in your signature which isn't there anymore haha.   I tried to explain to the owner what I was looking for but he had no idea what I was talking about so the trip to the store ended up being a bust, but after much googling tonight I found the name and will be calling the other Butcher Boys on Monday to see if they carry it.  Soooo hopefully Monday before we head back to Saskatoon I will have a couple bottles of your BBQ sauce in my posession.

Bigs 
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• hondabbq
    edited August 2014

@bigalsworth I was told they had 2 locations. Talk to Jeff if you can. He is my contact and the owner. Good luck.

1849 Park street is where we send the orders