Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My New Fav...

Options
Big_Green_Craig
Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
My family's newest favorite is tri-tip. It is just in a whole other realm in the steak world. 

I used Meat Church's Holy Cow rub and ran the reverse sear. I started cooking indirect at 250F until the steak reached an internal temp of 115F. I removed the plate setter and opened all of the vents to crank it up to 650F. I seared each side for approx 3 minutes. Final IT was 132F. This steak was tender and juicy. 
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    Looks good - I'll have to give this a try!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Looks real good. I really like that rub. I have to place an order.
    Love the honey rub on pork chops.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Tri-tip is freakin awesome.  Don't know how you left-coasters kept it a secret for so long!  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig‌ Did you cut with the grain on that one? If so, how did it turn out? We've always cut against the grain... @GATraveller‌ Some of us tried to spread the love! When I was stationed at Ft. Bragg in the 90s, I tried to find tri-tip everywhere with no luck, not even the butchers had hard of the cut. Glad to see it's making it's way east. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    Looks like he cut the roast down the middle with the grain, then did his slices off of each half again't the grain.
    PNWFoodie said:
    @Big_Green_Craig‌ Did you cut with the grain on that one? If so, how did it turn out? We've always cut against the grain... @GATraveller‌ Some of us tried to spread the love! When I was stationed at Ft. Bragg in the 90s, I tried to find tri-tip everywhere with no luck, not even the butchers had hard of the cut. Glad to see it's making it's way east. :)

Pentwater, MI
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I love doing the reverse sear on the tri tip.
    Last time I did one for the left overs I made French Dip sandwiches and they were awesome.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I cant get them up here in Canuckistan, but when we take a road trip to the US, couple times a year I pick up 4-5. 400 indirect for about an hour.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    I cut it in half right down the middle where the grain changes. Then, I turned each piece and cut against the grain on the bias. 
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Wow, nice, do you think I could do it just like my rib eyes, 700 degrees for 1 min. on each side, shut all the vents and let cook for 4 mins. Rib eyes come out great. What about tri tip?
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig now try the Bison Tri-tip. Oh boy but remember Bison is very lean so it cooks very fast.
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    Looks awesome!

it's such a trip for me to see Tri Tip just now gaining popularity with some folks...as a kid growing up in So Cal in the late 70's and 80's...other than ground hamburger that was thee piece of beef we had most often.

I still love it...we have a place up here near Portland that sells an excellent burgundy tri tip. I've also been in San Diego and had a friend cook what a place he shops at  calls Cardiff Crack...damn good Tri Tip.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Try it next time using Red Oak for smoke.  That's the authentic Santa Maria way of cooking it.
    I like to buy the untrimmed tri-tip and trim it myself, leaving a quarter inch of the fat cap on it.  Lately, most butchers/stores(Costco) sell trimmed tri-tip and remove the fat cap.  I sear it for 5 minutes a side, then go indirect (fat cap up) with a cold plate setter and let the temp drop to 350 till 125 internal.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Try it next time using Red Oak for smoke.  That's the authentic Santa Maria way of cooking it.
    I like to buy the untrimmed tri-tip and trim it myself, leaving a quarter inch of the fat cap on it.  Lately, most butchers/stores(Costco) sell trimmed tri-tip and remove the fat cap.  I sear it for 5 minutes a side, then go indirect (fat cap up) with a cold plate setter and let the temp drop to 350 till 125 internal.

That sounds like a dynamite way to do it! I'll check that out-
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    How long did it take to get 115* IT @ 250*?
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    How long did it take to get 115* IT @ 250*?
    I would guess about 35-40 minutes? Not long.