Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raccoon invasion. Morality question.

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Coon.  And poo.

imageimage
    Options

I would show your neighbors the coon in the trap as you load it into your vehicle and take it somewhere else and shoot it. If you let the thing loose within a mile of your home it is likely to come back.  

I just found this and they mention 5 miles, though in an urban setting I'm sure the thing would find something to keep him happy before he made it back to your place. 

http://www.raccoonatticguide.com/relocating.html 

Options
    Unless the coon swims across the Industrial Canal or takes an insanely long and tall bridge, he ain't coming back.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Poor lil guy, he's going to miss his kin folk.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I would have Bedazzled his ear to see if he comes back.  Plus it will freak out the next guy who traps him.  "Where in the world did that coon get an earing?"
    Flint, Michigan
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Unfortunately for you, raccoons are like Jihadies. Large in number and persistence. They outnumber your bullets and there is always one more ready to step up and take the last ones place. You need a mindset change with your own cats to keep them inside once the chaos starts.
    Good luck
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    The fluffernutter bait must've worked! Well Done!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yep, marshmallows work!
    Options
    Raccoon "I'll be back". >:) image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    This thread is awesome.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited June 2014
    Options
    One down 3452 to go. Maybe post should be re-titled 'mortality'
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• BugCollector
    Options
    That isn't a mouse.
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Goodbye ol' friend!

No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Meanwhile @nolaegghead‌ 's cats have decided. image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Well....this thread helped me kill the last hour or so at work...thanks guys!  :)>-
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You're welcome, Col Angus, Sir.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I'm having a hard time understanding what good is accomplished by relocating this worthless creature. Aside from placating neighbors. Even if he doesn't find his way back to Nola's house, he will find his way into someone's home. And this thread will pop up on some other forum. Though I'm sure it won't be as entertaining!  :)

I think it would also be interesting to learn what kinds of critters are commonly found where all y'all live. My house ia on the outskirts of a small bedroom community right next to farmland. In other words, I'm in a "town", but I'm only 1/4 mile from miles and miles of farms. 

I never see ANYTHING! The occasional rabbit, a few squirrels and that's it. Oh, I saw a fox once. ONCE, in over 30 years! No coons, no possum, no bears, skunks... just nuthin'. Saw a garter snake a couple of times come to think of it. And there are a couple of chipmunks living in the stone wall in my back yard.

And I don't have mosquitos the size of an ultralight either!

Y'all need to move north! 
    :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Michael - We have possums, 'coons (obviously), squirrels, nutria and birds...(egrets, pelican, flying rats, ducks, geese and most of the usual song birds).

We've had raccoons in the neighborhood since the inception of the neighborhood back in 1719 (so I hear), and I've lived here in this very neighborhood for 20 years and have had a cat door the entire time without this problem. 

Apparently a small group of them learned to (and were brazen enough) to forage in houses via pet door.  These raccoons are a minority, and it's these that I'm trapping.  The problem should go away, I doubt it's information that's genetically spread to all the raccoons the the neighborhood, rather it's likely learned by a pack of them.  Just like you get a problem bear now and then, they relocate the bear to a less populated area and it's usually problem solved.

edited June 2014
    Options
    I think it would also be interesting to learn what kinds of critters are commonly found where all y'all live. 

I live on the edge of a bedroom community, and the land beyond my backyard slopes down to the Ogden River, and is all covered with trees.  I have deer walk past my yard, sometimes into my yard, most nights.  Magpies everywhere, other birds (I hear eagles flying overhead quite often), can watch the bats eating insects every night as the sun goes down, have a covey of California Quail that come stomping through quite often (this year's hatch was huge, I counted over 25 birds!), watched a falcon nail one of those quail in my backyard (got a (poor) photograph of him)!  Best of all, almost no mosquitoes, this is a huge benefit after living in eastern ND/northern MN for three years!   

Haven't seen a coon yet.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌. ..you only trap the minority raccoons. ... Racist.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Racist?! That would make me some ethnicity of raccoon!
    Options
    "The other Raccoons escaped". Well they escaped the cage >:) image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Never had Gator tail on the Egg.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Hahah
    Options
    This thread has more comments than Travis's brisket thread. Way more. And I've read every single one.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Some of the best wild game BBQ I've had was raccoon. Was at annual wild game feast I went to with my dad at Ozark shooters in Ozark mo
    The guy cleaned em, boiled the hell out of them dumped the water and boiled em again till the meat fell off the bone then threw it all in a crock pot with BBQ sauce for several hours. It was damn tasty
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    SaltySam said:

This thread has more comments than Travis's brisket thread. Way more. And I've read every single one.

I'm frightened to know how long that took to read all the comments. Better yet, the first part of the thread could've easily been called "Quest To Enter The 10K Club" by @nolaegghead‌. Now it has evolved a little. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

I live across the river from @nolaegghead, and right near city park.  I had a possum run through the backyard while I was egging on Saturday evening (my neighbor has already relocated a litter).  We see raccoons regularly (though they usually stay in the park), and I've heard of wild boars running through the golf courses that were reclaimed by Katrina.  The park has a few gators too, I think.

NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    buzd504 said:

I live across the river from @nolaegghead, and right near city park.  I had a possum run through the backyard while I was egging on Saturday evening (my neighbor has already relocated a litter).  We see raccoons regularly (though they usually stay in the park), and I've heard of wild boars running through the golf courses that were reclaimed by Katrina.  The park has a few gators too, I think.

I've seen gators in the park.  They help control the small yappy dog population ;)

I've water skied through the swamp and wiped out in a sea of lily pads and gators.  They were as scared of me as I was of them.