Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Question

Zmokin
Zmokin Posts: 1,938
I'm planning on doing a reverse sear on a tri-tip.

I'll start with a simple rub and a low & slow smoke indirect.

Then switch to a direct heat sear.  I will be pulling the plate-setter, but my question is should I let the meat rest (foil & towel wrap) while the egg heats up, or should I just go quickly to direct heating as direct heat will be sufficient as it won't be a raised-direct?
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited June 2014

I typically do not use any wood for smoke on beef/steaks, just the lump. My method is a full load of lump settled in at 250 dome then cook my steaks until 110/115 then just let them rest uncovered long enough to get the egg up to 550/600 and finish until yummy/desired temp.

Chuck King

Dimondale, Michigan.

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Zmokin

I typically do not use any wood for smoke on beef/steaks, just the lump. My method is a full load of lump settled in at 250 dome then cook my steaks until 110/115 then just let them rest uncovered long enough to get the egg up to 550/600 and finish until yummy/desired temp.

Chuck King

Dimondale, Michigan.

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

OK, thanks for the advice.  I have one more question, how long does it take your egg to go from 250 to 500+?  I'm hoping the change from indirect to direct will radically change my temp profile, because I know with the Digi-Q and staying indirect, it can take awhile to go from 250 to 350.  Last night I smoked my short ribs at 230-235, then I pulled the ribs, took them inside to pressure cook for 1/2 an hour, but waiting for the pressure cooker to come up to pressure added another 10 minutes or so, when I was ready to sauce and go back on the BGE, it had only managed to make it 330.  In 20 more minutes it finally hit 350 right when I was pulling the ribs off to eat for dinner.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What grillmagic said, except I'll put a little oak in there.

You want it to cool down while the egg is heating up.  Put it uncovered on a cooling rack.

If you want it to heat up faster, grab a hose and a leaf blower and force some air into the coals.  The hose is for putting out any small fires that result.
    I remove it and rest it on a plate and cover with foil.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Covering with foil will accelerate carry over cooking. It will also gather condensation on the surface, more that you will need to blot off before the sear.

+1 on the recommendation from @nolaegghead its based on solid science.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    For best reverse sear results, I like to cook tri-tip up to 5 degrees less than my desired final internal temperature.  Then I'll let that rest, uncovered, on a raised rack so the tri tip isn't resting on a flat counter or plate (doing it on a flat surface kind of steams the surface of the meat touching the plate, causing more juices to flow out).

For me, the key is letting the meat rest until the internal temperature stops rising.  Then I'll put it back on to sear for just 1-2 minutes per side and the temp rise is negligible at that point.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    @nolaegghead‌ is a nerd, but like a cool BBQ Bill Nye sorta way. Lol :D
  • Zmokin
    OK, got it, pull tri-tip 5 to 10 degrees before desired doneness, set on rack in a pan, exposed to the air.  Remove plate-setter, remove digi-Q, remove hat from SS Smokeware cap and watch the Egg climb temp.  once egg reaches 550, toss tri-tip back on for a couple minutes per side.

After that, serve & enjoy with manners, or scarf like a caveman.