Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Commerical Rub

I am not trying to start a feud with any of the members here about homemade vs commercial rubs.  That being said, I wanted to see what most of you use as your go to commercially available all around meat rub.  Myron Mixon, Dizzi Pig, etc.  Please advise.

Comments

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    man I have curiosity to try different things when it comes to these rubs......as a result i have used lots of different ones......occasionally i will find one that i really dont care much about.......but most times and most of the rubs I have tasted have all been pretty tasty.

i also have pretty good luck making my own rubs.....that makes sense because i keep it fairly simple and dont include things I dont like alot ahead of time.

i enjoy and have used alot of the following;

dizzy pig stuff
    jack's old south
    bone sucking sauce rub
    bad byron's butt rub
    smoking guns

and a few others I cannot recall the name of right now.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386

Dizzy Dust, Plowboys Yardbird, John Henry's Pecan Rub, Bad Byrons Butt Rub are a few of my favorites.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Even thou the Oakridge BBQ rubs are made in 'micro' batches, I think they would be considered commercial. That being said, they are my favorite. As far as walking into a store and buying off the shelf, I favor anything 'Stubbs'.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • tillerman7
    tillerman7 Posts: 18
    Thanks for the comments...  Keep them coming.  msloan, I am like you in the fact that I will pickup just about anything that catches my eye. 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited June 2014
    Bad Byron's for pork (chops, ribs, butts)
    Dizzy Pig's Cowlick for brisket, burgers, chili, steaks
    Dizzy Pig's Swamp Venom for chicken
    John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler for veggies

And from what I've heard on here, Mickey's Coffee Rub should be considered a commercial rub ;) . I have the ingredients written down, just need to round them up. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• PeterK
    PeterK Posts: 15
    edited June 2014
    Just ordered Sweet Swine o Mine. Haven't tried it yet but it smells good :) Bad Byron's butt rub is nice and I also have Simply Marvelous. Todd's Dirt is ok but totally different then the rest :)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Swine o mine is great on ribs. Not as aggressive as say bad Byron's. Nice choice. Others listed above are all quite good as well.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Oakridge rubs
    Texas BBQ rubs
    Meat church
    Weber Chicago steak
    The slabs.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

Swine o mine is great on ribs. Not as aggressive as say bad Byron's. Nice choice. Others listed above are all quite good as well.

I just used sweet o mine on ribs. Really liked it. Also was nice to buy local at Lowes and not pay shipping.
  • Plowboy's yardbird and strawberry's bbq rub.

Little Rock, AR

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    1. Dizzy Pig
    2. Oakridge

I am starting to try others also. I finally tried some Bad Byrons Butt Rub on some ribs last week. I may throw it out, way to salty for me, although others love it.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Dipstix - Mary's Favorite BBQ Rub. Excellent multipurpose rub. Permanent rub in the cupboard. Hot version also really good when available
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    ads75 said:
    1. Dizzy Pig
    2. Oakridge

I am starting to try others also. I finally tried some Bad Byrons Butt Rub on some ribs last week. I may throw it out, way to salty for me, although others love it.

Agree on Bad Byrons, Can't use on anything but butt's because its just to salty.  Can't tell on butts much because of the mass of the meat and it blends in.  Gotta mix in with some sugar.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head on pork shoulders. awesome.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @tillerman7‌
    Here are my go to commercial rubs. Nothing fancy. Just good and spicy!! Just my tastes and preferences. They wind up on most every thing that I cook.

imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Here are a few more that I use often and am very fond of for general use.

imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Dizzy Pig Raging River for fish;  
    John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler for poultry; 
    Tastylicks Treehugger for veggies

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited June 2014

Big fan of most Dizzy Pig rubs....just seem to be really high quality ingredients to me.  Favorites are:

Dizzy Dust on anything

Swamp Venom on pork or chicken

Jamaican Firewalk on pork or chicken

Cow Lick on steaks, brisket or burgers

Raging River on chicken or seafood.....still quite a few I haven't tried yet.

I really want to try the Texas BBQ rubs.  I have some Bad Byron's too that I bought in a pinch, but others have said, I find it too salty and usually only use it on butts. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

Texas BBQ Rub.  Excellent quality, great price.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• I have ruined ribs using some of the more generic rubs you can find in the supermarket..reason?....too much salt. Check the ingredients, and if salt is the first thing listed, be careful..

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

I have ruined ribs using some of the more generic rubs you can find in the supermarket..reason?....too much salt. Check the ingredients, and if salt is the first thing listed, be careful..

I too avoid those.  It's also the cheapest ingredient, and one that you can easily add, but can't take away.

Texas BBQ Rub.  Excellent quality, great price.

Excellent rubs! .. very high quality and I love the newsletter they send out detailing recipes for brisket/ribs/boston butt etc ... Excellent business place to deal with!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Head Country topped with Secret Weapon (Oak Ridge) or Zero to Hero (eat barbecue aka pellet envy) for pork tsunami spin for bird.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree combine with a little Swamp Venom on chicken...outstanding.

Shakin' the Tree & Jamaican Firewalk is also a good combo.

Dizzy Dust on butts

Cowlick on top rounds, etc.

Dizzy Dust or Bad Byrons & Pineapple Head on pork chops...oh baby!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)