Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table question

Options

I just bought a new challenger table for my large BGE, pics to follow...my question is, is it absolutely necessary to place a paver, or a tile under the BGE when you put it in the table?  Just curious because I like the look better without doing so...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Paver or Table Nest for a heat barrier

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• iPaddler
    iPaddler Posts: 14
    Options
    Waiting for my XL. Was told either paver or table nest when I bought mine.
    Ontario, Canada. XL BGE, Napoleon Gasser
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's a metal table.  It's not going to catch on fire.  I'd call the manufacturer or look on their web site (or read the manual).
    Just my .02, but I'd use a table nest.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Mine is a SS table and would still recommend the table nest or something. To be fair I have the nest with custom legs to gain the clearance I needed. The nest all by itself lifts you up 2".
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ballardbbq
    Ballardbbq Posts: 27
    Options
    I called the Challenger manufacturer to ask this same question. They said 'no'. The material under the Egg was used because it withstands the heat, no additional parts needed. I asked if airflow was adequate without raising it. The heat, airflow and Egg weight were all taken into consideration during the design phase and the cart is good to go as-is.

Large, Medium & Mini-Max - Seattle & a Puget Sound Island

• mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    I have the challenger cart and the dealer told me to use a nest, so mine is on a nest. If Challenger claims that the shelf is designed for no nest then it would be personal preference. My concern was the ceramic and the metal underneath and no air circulation, would there be a more significant chance of the egg cracking. and would the rubber seals on the doors melt If I was doing a clean burn or high temp cook.
    Danville, Il
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Another concern I would have since I have the same table, is the clearance of the ceramic in the opening in the top. I have a table nest and there is only about 1/2 " clearance around the egg. If you drop it that 2 " the nest provides it might be too tight and with expansion may damage the egg. I read a lot of posts in here about leaving enough room around the egg for that same reason.