Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Brewers out here?

I would say when I am not using the egg, but the truth is that the Egg is a key part of a brew day. Both are long, slow events and there is nothing better then having something off the egg during cleanup. Perhaps I will smoke some malt on the egg someday, but that is really not my style of beer. I see a lot of overlap between long slow preparations, baking, complex cooking techniques, and brewing. Of couse your own brew with your Q is an ultimate expression of your skills. So who else dabbles.

Cheers.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2014
    Welcome! Lots of brewers on here (I'm not one of them).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • I just invested a big chunk of change on a better mash tun, I'm growing my own hops this year (cascade) and hope for a good crop, but I seriously doubt it this year. I'm currently building a nice system like this:  https://brewmagic.com/brewing-systems/pro-brewer-rims-system/
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited June 2014
    I've been brewing for a few years. I use the Sabco system and I love it,but I'm looking to make a few changes. image
    Aurora,OH
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I am an extract brewer, always have 2 corny kegs on tap
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • hopmonster
    hopmonster Posts: 11
    I have been brewing on a brew magic for 7 or 8 years. I got a really good deal on it. Brewing for 23 years so far.I have had an egg for 3.
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    I've been brewing for 5 years and egging for just under a year now.  We just moved and had our first kid in the last 10 months and trying to get back in shape so my brewing has suffered but been able to keep up with the egging.  My Keezer is currently sitting empty and begging for me to put something on tap.  My goal is to get some brews knocked out this summer for fall brews, my favorites but who knows the kid is a blast and I focus my time with him.  I was an extract brewer mainly but I have tried a few All Grain brews and would love to have something like a brew magic.  Maybe one day we'll have a few extra dollars to invest in the brewing hobby...  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I tried it once about 20 years ago... screwed it up and never tried again.
    These days I'm simply a beer critic! I love a good micro brew, and when I'm not enjoying one of those, my fall back beer is a nice cold Hamms!!
    What can I say... I tend to be polarized.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've made moonshine, wine and beer.  It's been a few years though.  I'd like to get back into it with some real gear.  The bottling process turned me off, so next time I'll keg it.  Have a kegorator.
    I'm about 6 months into my brewing life. So far I have about 6 or 7 extract batches under my belt, and just did my first all grain a couple days ago. I bottle most, but have a couple cornies on the go. My next step is to build a keezer.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Cookinbob
    Believe it or not, I was a home brewer between 1979 and 1982 when the ingredient options were limited, and kegging was not an option.  I still made pretty good beer using Munton & Fison hopped extracts, and "brewers yeast".  Then I had kids and got sick of washing bottles, and set the pursuit aside until 5 years ago when #2 son got into it.  Bought new fermenters and kegs and have been rolling since.  Brew about 10 batches a year, mostly pale ales and IPA's, though I brew a vanilla porter every fall.
    Rochester, NY
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Brewer here.. Been doing it for a few years. All grain, keep a good rotation of seasonal beers, have a garage full of chest and stand up freezers. 4 beers on tap in the keezer all the time, and plenty of stuff aging in barrels, and what not. Really into sours, oud bruins, and wild ales..

Bottling sucks, I bottled two batched and moved to kegging long ago.

Hard to beat firing up the kettles, and the egg on the same day. Sitting out there with a good beer while something smokes away.. Hickory smoke and American Hops in the air can't be beat!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I just brewed my first batch, and bottled it last week. I brewed a Belgium Blonde extract kit from www.morebeer.com, and it tasted pretty dang good.  I just hope it carbonates in the bottles like it's supposed too. 

I found it to be very similar to cooking on the egg.  Just crack open a beer and watch it boil.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Do you consider the end product to be noticeably superior to a good microbrew that you could go buy?  I've always thought about trying it, but I've always tended to go back and forth between different beers and figured I would get bored with drinking a full batch of the same thing.  (and if your first few batches suck while you're figuring things out, that seems like a lot of crappy beer to drink)

Now that I've been diagnosed as diabetic in my mid-30s (not morbidly obese, reasonable diet, fairly active, just bad genes) it's probably not a great hobby for me to pick up.  I've largely given up drinking except when we go out to the brew pub.  I still like beer, I just like food and not-taking-insulin more.

What I really need is a neighbor who does microbrewing.  (and who preferably has a pool that I can use without having to clean it myself)
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    ^ with proper fermentation temperature control, yeast health and sanitation. It's as good if not better than any craft brewery around. Without those things it's just drinkable :)

Aurora,OH
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    So far I have done three all grain batches , my latest was a nut brown ale and I'm brewing a Irish red today:)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Just finished my 2nd batch of extract brew. Simple setup and it turned out great. 5.8% Amber Ale that was a little on the hoppy side. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• CANMAN1976
    Rainy brew day here!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    ^ with proper fermentation temperature control, yeast health and sanitation. It's as good if not better than any craft brewery around. Without those things it's just drinkable :)

This is the key. Scratch brewer years ago when I had the time and space, now the odd extract batch or Brew House grain beer kit. 
    Over the past couple of years, I use a U-Brew where he lets me bring my own ingredients in and charges only for the use of the kettles/coolers/storage. I bottle in 5 gallon batches, using Grolsch snap top 500ml bottles. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    Perfect way to spend my day off!
    Nailed the red color hopefully the gravity to;)

• Dutch_egg
    Dutch_egg Posts: 28
    I hope to be soon be joining the ranks of the brewers. My Father's Day present was a completely unexpected home brew kit. I will soon need all the advise I can get on putting together some nice brews
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'm a NOOB beer brewer. Been at it about a year. 5 batches under my belt so far.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Been brewing for over 20 years here......made wine for about 4 years as well but haven't made that in years.
    Dearborn MI
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Had my first airlock blow out last night. Just glad I caught it in time. It was bubbling away like a ready to blow volcano.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • CANMAN1976
    Greeno55 said:

Had my first airlock blow out last night. Just glad I caught it in time. It was bubbling away like a ready to blow volcano.

Time for a blowoff tube, I use one for all my brews now.

• Greeno55
    Time for a blowoff tube, I use one for all my brews now.

That's exactly what I did. I scrambled to MacGyver one at 9:30 last night. Haven't ever had the problem when I primary in the bucket. But it seems when I use my 6.5g carboy, it's touch and go.
  • Cookinbob
    Greeno55 said:

Must be a double or triple IPA. Those are the only brews I need a blow off for.
    Rochester, NY
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Brewed my first batch on my all electric 10 gallon basement brewery a couple weeks ago.  Been brewing for about 20 years now, egging for 4.
  • Greeno55
    Cookinbob said:
    Must be a double or triple IPA. Those are the only brews I need a blow off for.

Actually, it's just a simple all grain cream ale. 7lbs - 2 row, 1lb flaked corn, 1lb dextrose, US-05 yeast. It's just fermenting like a mother!! Only other close call I've had (also in the carboy) was a brewer's wort Double Oatmeal Stout.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    If anyone knows someone looking to open a brewery in need of used equipment call Anderson Valley Brewery, they're expanding and selling their old stuff.
  • Cookinbob
    Not a heavy grain bill for sure. It'll be done in no time!
    Rochester, NY