Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do not view thread if you hate Brisket! :P

Options
2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

How would you say the prime compared to the SRF brisket?

It's in the same book, but the SRF brisket was better. I'd happily cook these on the regular and wouldn't miss SRF one bit.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 482
    Options
    Thanks. can't get prime brisket where I live now, but will be moving to Austin soon so will be on the lookout. Good luck with your move.
    Austin, TX
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    I'm hungry!! My Costco carries nothing but flats damn it.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    You did a fine job on that brisket my friend. It has the appearance of being smoked on a stick burner. Can't many people pull that off on a ceramic. =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Looks amazing! Love the simple S&P.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

What a pathetic looking hunk of meat. Not even a decent smoke ring...

Ya ready to move to Houston for more prime brisky? :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Nice job, Cazzy!

Was that a prime? 

I spoke with my butcher down the street about briskets because he had a couple in his case. All of his steaks are prime and I asked if the briskets were. He said, no. Prime briskets would be too fatty. I didn't push it any further.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    @cazzy‌ You did a fine job on that brisket my friend. It has the appearance of being smoked on a stick burner. Can't many people pull that off on a ceramic. =D>
    Still want a stick burner tho...one day.
  • cazzy
    Options
    caliking said:

What a pathetic looking hunk of meat. Not even a decent smoke ring...

Ya ready to move to Houston for more prime brisky? :)

No kidding...damn crappy brisket and non existent smoke ring.  

Yep....sure freaking am!   :D
  • cazzy
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Nice job, Cazzy!

Was that a prime? 

I spoke with my butcher down the street about briskets because he had a couple in his case. All of his steaks are prime and I asked if the briskets were. He said, no. Prime briskets would be too fatty. I didn't push it any further.
    Yes!

Fire your butcher!  lol   Why do you think people are all cray about the Snake River Farms brisket?  It's all the marbling throughout the cut. The silky goodness that your butcher thinks is too fattening.  =P~
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    @cazzy

That's what I thougt. His briskets were nice looking but I thought it was odd considering all of his other steaks are prime. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    One more question...as I've never seen a prime brisket in FL...what should one cost per lb.?
  • cazzy
    Options
    One more question...as I've never seen a prime brisket in FL...what should one cost per lb.?
    No clue as I've never seen prime in San Antonio, but it was dirt cheap in Houston ($3.59#).  I'd say about $1 more a # than you're paying for choice.

I've paid more for choice and choice CAB....never again.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    $3.59....holy crap!

Brisket is $5-6 bucks down here for the shoe-leather stuff.
  • cazzy
    Options
    $3.59....holy crap!

Brisket is $5-6 bucks down here for the shoe-leather stuff.
    That is why if I ever leave Texas, i'm taking about a 15-20 packers with me.   :P
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    As usual that looks amazing my friend!!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I shouldn't have viewed. Kind of like when I bought prime steak once and now I don't want to eat choice anymore LOL..............Did you feel the marbling in the prime made a big difference? Did you make it the same way you usually do with the lesser cuts? Thanks, Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    No more adjectives left to complement you..Good luck to your Wife on her new job!!! I am sure she will make lots of friends when she pulls that Brisky out..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    What's your "feel" technique?  Pull when tender?  Foil ever?  Let it rest?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • cazzy
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    What's your "feel" technique?  Pull when tender?  Foil ever?  Let it rest?
    I spent some time with John Lewis from La Barbecue and learned what to feel for.  There isn't a way to explain it other than saying I pull it when it feels ready.

I don't foil and I rest no less than an hour unless I need to do an extended hold.  I usually don't do extended holds as I have my schedule down pat.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    That looked crazy-good, insane-good, good enough to make you slap your grandma.  I aspire to that level of greatness.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Where can I buy one of those?!?!?! Looks amazing @cazzy!!
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Our Costco in MI do not carry packer briskets. :(

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Meat is murder!!!!  Juicy delicious murder........ =P~

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    nice!!!!!!!!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    You suck. Unless you can mail me one of those primes, in that case, you'll rock.
    Dunedin, FL
  • cazzy
    Options
    Over the past few years, I've talked to peeps at work about my Q or they've seen some pics.  I had so much left over, I brought some brisket to work so they could try.  Gave out point and flat to some peeps throughout the hospital.  

All that tried were blown away and specifically commented about the bark and smoke flavor.  It's crazy how much more the smoke flavor came through on day 2.  Maybe that's because I'm used to the smell since i'm around the smoke the whole cook.  Naturally, the peeps that got point were a lil shocked at the buttery tender goodness that we all have grown to love.  

Two people have already asked me if I would cater an event for them.  Good feedback and a lil motivating to keep chugging away at perfecting my brisket.   :)