Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lousy ribs

Options
TonyA
TonyA Posts: 583
They smelled good during the cook, but these were pretty bad. From a technical standpoint I put the sauce on too early. And my temp suddenly bumping up 25 deg didn't help either. I was cooking 300 dome and sauced at 4hr and 4.5 hr. The sugar in the sauce just seized up in the bark. It was pretty tough. I said they didn't taste like anything. My wife said they tasted like everything ( the way she said it we must have laughed for 10 minutes). Pulling flavors in too many directions and a technical error proved too much.

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    They look really good though!
    NW IOWA
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I'm not sure what they tasted like but they look great.
  • TonyA
    Options
    Yeah, you'll notice there's no cut pic. They looked like I used a rubber spatula
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Oh, sorry man. You'll nail them next time.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Look good too bad they didn't work out.
    Dearborn MI
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    Options
    Any rib you can walk away from..... :-)
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Maybe I'm dense tonight, but I'm not sure you gave us enough information to help you in the future. It almost sounds like they were not cooked long enough though. Want to explain some more?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    People learn more from their failures. You're now one step closer to perfection.
    Gittin' there...
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Good cooks come from experience, experience comes from previous bad cooks.
    Dearborn MI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    At least they do look good.

Sauced ribs are the standard where I live, but I've never seen any of the commercial cooks sauce the ribs until they are served. I suppose part of the reason is most places offer a few different kinds of sauce as requested by the customer.

Myself, I've gone more towards dry ribs. In part, this is because I once had results rather like yours. I foiled some BBs sitting in a fairly thick sugary sauce. At the end of the cook, the portions that had soaked in the sauce turned hard.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Failures are the foundation for a better cook next time.  Agree we need some more info to help you out.  If the were back ribs you were probably at about the right time with a 300 dome.  Suspect your grate was 250 or so throughout.  If they were sides I would think you were probably anwheres from 1.5 to 2 hours, maybe more, too early pulling them off.  Do you do bend test or stick toothpick in to see tenderness?  You'll nail it next time.......perservere!!!
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • TonyA
    Options
    These were ST Louis cut but they were very small.. they were done -  bend test perfect .. I had my thermo out from another cook they were 195-200 when i took them out.  I put a high sugar sauce on way too early.  It pretty much candied the first 1/8 inch .. i could have peeled it off.  the center and bottom were perfectly cooked.  I was also experimenting with the rub .. it did not marry well with the sauce.  I could have lived with either of those two .. combined it just didn't pan out at all.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Damn...they sure look good in the picture!

It happens, though.  If you have leftover take them all off the bone, chop it up and slow simmer it on the stove with some sauce.  You'll end up with some killer beef BBQ!  Throw that on a roll and tear into it.  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

As the pic looked great, you could have lied and I would not have known the difference.

:D
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating