Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on the new XL, spatchcock fantastic. Fire department? Not so much...

Options
PNWFoodie
PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Let me start off by saying - all is well. There was no fire and no one and nothing was harmed. :) Picked up my XL last weekend. It's been living in the back of my car (my kids have dubbed it "grandpappy's mobile home") until my nest handler came in and I could get it out. The transfer was super easy...was able to get it out of the car and into the nest/handler with just me and my 70 step-father. Love him. At the dealer picking up my handler, I may or may not have gone a little crazy....every type of Dizzy Pig (reserving judgement, but quick taste-testing doesn't have anyone standing out over any other commercial rubs I've tried), split CI grate, pizza stone, fire bricks, half pizza stone (although I gave that to my parents tonight. They won the large last weekend and will probably use it more than I will.) Already bought the stainless cap and thermopen when I picked up the XL. Have to admit, wouldn't have thought it, but yeah...the thermopen really is a game changer. So, yesterday the XL came out of the car and into the nest. It is just as ridiculously large in the nest as it looked in my car, lol. Did a spatchcock on it, sprinkled with Tsunami. Chicken turned out great...wondering why someone would bother to cook upright when spatchcocking turns out so well. Yummers. Shut the egg down (just with stainless, not with ceramic...first mistake) and let it cool until what I thought was a safe temp. Was going to leave it in the front yard until completely cool and then I started thinking that it was a mighty big ticket item to leave in the front yard....and wheeled it into my garage. Made sure there was plenty of room (although at this point it was safe to the touch), took my kids to their grandparents, and went to spend the night at BF's house. 12:30 this morning, ADT gets the alarm from my house that the Carbon monoxide monitor is going off. I don't get the call, as I'm out of range of cell service. My emergency contacts get it. Fire department comes. They didn't break down the door because they figured that no one was home, but it did cause some panic among our local volunteers. (Are they really gone or just unable to answer the door?) As I said, no one was hurt....but serious lesson learned. I have my CM meter right outside my boys' bedroom....which is also right over the garage. It did exactly what is was supposed to do, as did ADT and the fire department. I feel like an ass. Lesson learned - egg does NOT go back into the garage until I can actually touch coal to know that it is completely out. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to cool down completely without worrying about it hanging out in front of my house...first world problems. On another topic....the nest handler pretty much rocks. :)
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    Glad all is well. Any space out back to put it?
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • duck_hunter
    duck_hunter Posts: 185
    Options
    You could bring that thing 3 hrs north for "safekeeping" :)

Glad to hear all is okay, 

I worry about this too as I cook in the driveway, I usually "block" it in with my truck on one side and a trailer on the other, if someone really wants it they will get it, but somehow it feels safer, the BGE is heavy, so that is another deterrent. 
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I like it. Good lesson learned, nobody/nothing hurt. Egg on. Maybe ADT can put a device on the egg to protect it from theft so you can leave it in the front yard.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Takes mine about 3+hrs to cool it to outdoor ambient temps on the base and dome so as I can don the cover. That said, even with the ceramics at cool temps the lump can have life in it for Many hours. Always play it safe.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    @nealcr1 I don't want to keep it on my back deck because it's a Trex (or similar) deck. I'll have to decide whether it's more hassle to cook with it in the driveway and wait for it to cool or to cook with it in the back yard...if only the path to my back yard was paved....:)
    Sandy
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Good lesson, glad no one was hurt. You can try what they do at eggfest at end of day ... wear a pair of good heat-resistant gloves and carefully scoop the hot lumps into a metal bucket/pail with tight lid and leave it in a secured area outdoors, away from fence or deck; the egg will cool faster and can be wheeled back into the garage much sooner.
    canuckland
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I would've shut off your gas LOL.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    So how did thing look when you got home?

Was it just the fumes from the slow burning remnants of the charcoal or was there smoke?

Just curious, glad all is okay.   Any chance you can wheel it around back after the cook?  Keep it outside but not easy picking!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌ No smoke at all. Fumes must have been enough. I learned my lesson. I'm thinking about getting that Ash Kicking bucket though... :)
    Sandy
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Glad everything was ok.  You need to figure out a safe place for the egg where it can be outside overnight or you're going to be an unhappy camper.
    Options
    CO is no joke. Odorless. Colorless. Tasteless. Kills you dead and you never even feel it coming. Please exercise extreme caution when moving these back inside.

I have a CO monitor in the house. I often wonder if I'll die on the stairs going down to see what the beeping is all about...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    IMHO an XL BGE is a difficult item to steal. On vacation, put the small BGE in the house, XL is out on the deck. I took it apart to get it out there through the house. If someone manages to get it down off the deck (Trex) they have worked harder than the value of the egg.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker