Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork lion & bone-in chicken breast questions

Options
Hi everyone, 

I'm cooking a small pork lion & 6 bone-in chicken breasts this afternoon, both with rubs. I was planning on doing them all at the same time, hopefully. I'll probably be using the half moon baking stone with the half moon raised grid with drip pan to be able to fit it all in my large BGE at once, but I have several questions: 

1. Should the plate setter be legs up? or legs down?

2. What should the BGE internal cooking temperature be?

3. How long should I cook everything? Should I put some items in at a different time interval?

4. What should the final meat temperatures be?

5. Should I use wood chips? I have apple, hickory, cherry & JD whiskey barrel chips.

6. Should I place the pork lion on the v-rack? The bone-in chicken breasts?

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions. I’m a novice, at best, with only cooking a handful of things by following recipes very carefully, but I can’t find any information for cooking a multitude of different items and I really have no idea what I should be doing.

Thank you all very much!
-Doren
My Big Green Egg Equipment • Large Big Green Egg • Half Moon Raised Grid w/Drip Pan • Half Moon Baking Stone • 14" Pizza & Baking Stone • convEGGtor (Plate Setter) • Dual-Purpose Porcelain Coated V-Rack • Ceramic Vertical Turkey Roaster • Ceramic Vertical Chicken Roaster • Aluminum Pizza Peel • Dual Probe Remote Wireless Thermometer • PSWoo2 Woo Ring

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Doren‌
    First let me say welcome my friend. I will take a shot at a few of your questions as I don't know what all equipment that you have.
    First if you are going to cook indirect then plate setter will go legs up.
    Next for chicken and loin you have a very wide range of temps that will work. I find anywhere from 350-425 works like a charm. If you haven't used your egg a lot then I would recommend 350 so you have plenty of room to make corrections and adjustments if needed.
    Next you should cook to internal temp not time. Do you have a thermometer to check for internal temp?
    The chicken breast are done at 160 the pork loin depending on your tolerance and taste is done at 140 internal temp.
    Next try the jack Daniels chips for a unique taste.
    Next No need to place any of the meat on the v-rack just lay it right on the grid.
    If you have anymore questions feel free to ask my friend. Myself or someone else will be more than glad to offer what help that we can.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Doren‌
    This is what your indirect set up should look like. I hope this helps my friend.
    Place one leg of the plate setter toward the back off the egg like in the pic. Why? This is the hottest part of the egg.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Doren‌
    Raised direct is a great alternative if you have the means to raise your grid to gasket level or higher. If you don't stick with indirect until you are more familiar with how the egg cooks. Indirect is much more forgiving than direct.

imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited June 2014
    Options
    One last thing that I missed. You can cook it all at one time. The loin and the chicken. It won't hurt a thing. Just pull each piece as it is done by checking the internal temp. I hope that I have answered at least some of your questions. Good luck and again welcome aboard my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    One final note. All the above is my opinion and what has worked very well for myself. Others may have different thoughts and I recommend that you take their advice if it is given. I'm fairly new to the egg myself so more seasoned advice may be more sound that what I have offered here. Good luck my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• DominicMagestic
    Options
    Chicken breast - pat the skin dry, lightly dust with a little baking powder, and back in the fridge uncovered till ready to cook. Take out and put a thin smear of mayo and your rub of choice - will end up with crispy skin instead of rubbery. Sear skin side down the flip. Cook to 165 internal temp.

Loin - you can cook indirect if you like but don't have to. Give it a good sear all around direct then go indirect if you want. Cook to 140 internal temp.

Good luck with it.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Doren
    Doren Posts: 10
    Options
    Awesome!

SGH, What is this? I've attached one of your photos. I think I'd like to purchase one of those. I’m definitely going to cook everything at once then at 350 on the grid. Perfect! I’m going to add the equipment I have to my profile as well, thank you. 

Thank you, DominicMagestic, I never would have thought of smearing on Mayo to prevent a rubbery texture. Sweet!

I’m still very apprehensive about direct cooking so, I think, I’ll be going indirect this first time with these meats.

About how long would say it will take for these things to cook? I'm going to remove based on temperature but am trying to backtrack from when our company arrives and when I should start cooking. Most recipes tell you that, but, again, I'm in uncharted water.

Thank you!
    -Dorenimage
    My Big Green Egg Equipment • Large Big Green Egg • Half Moon Raised Grid w/Drip Pan • Half Moon Baking Stone • 14" Pizza & Baking Stone • convEGGtor (Plate Setter) • Dual-Purpose Porcelain Coated V-Rack • Ceramic Vertical Turkey Roaster • Ceramic Vertical Chicken Roaster • Aluminum Pizza Peel • Dual Probe Remote Wireless Thermometer • PSWoo2 Woo Ring
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    I normally cook chicken around 400 and it is done in about 50-60 minutes. Indirect is good but I wouldn't skip the sear for the Maillard effect. It's all about flavor. Check it out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Doren
    Options
    Excellent, gotcha! Thanks again!
  • SGH
    Options
    @Doren‌
    It is a woo from the ceramic grill store. That is not a typo. Woo is what they are called.

Status- Standing by.

• Doren
    Options
    Woohoo! LOL Thank you!!!
  • Doren
    Options
    Pork lion done!
  • Doren
    Options
    Chicken breast time!
  • SGH
    Options
    @Doren‌
    Looks like a home run to me. Great job my friend. The food looks excellent. =D>

Status- Standing by.

• Doren
    Options
    Thank you! Couldn't have done it without you guys!
  • Doren
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Chicken's done! We're throwing some veggies on now, we'll see. Another first!
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Awesome cook.... Welcome to the forum... I'm new as well and will get a Woo soon.
  • Doren
    Options
    Veggies!
    image.jpg 1008.8K
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    You rocked it man - bet you had some happy customers
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat