Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Father's Day Legs

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
OT because its not an egg. Improvements were performed this afternoon. My BIL has a welder and knows how to use it. Fabbed a sliding door for the bottom draft and welded a latch on for the door. Rutland gasket and thermometer arriving tomorrow. Using my Maverick to monitor temps now. Temp control is pretty decent so far.

Half have DP Raging River, the other half have BBQ rub from Meadow Creek BBQ.

Have some olive wood in there for smoke. My first time using olive wood, smells really good. Will be shipping some back home I think. He has an olive grove on his property. Using Frontier lump. Was a bit sparky to light and took a bit for the VOCs to burn off.

Hopefully I can get this thing dialed in tight and find a brisket locally for later this week. I'll need to fashion a heat deflector of some sort. Could be just a water pan, but then I need to monitor water level and add if it gets low. Would a pan of sand work?
imageimageimageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @DMW‌
    We run sand as a sync with no problem at all. You can also use lava rocks as a sync. Or a combination of both.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    Options
    @DMW you can use a clay saucer wrapped in foil as a heat sync. Lots of people have used that with a WSM with good effect.
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I have never put water in the built in pan on my vertical. I have a large steam pan that I fill with water, sand, or rocks and sand. Works just the same my friend. No difference at all in my opinion other than I think you get a tighter bark with the sand and rocks vs the water.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH and @Cloom Thanks much, I'll get something figured out for low and slows, the input is much appreciated.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    As always you are more than welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    My supervisor is making sure everything is under control.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    He is doing an outstanding job!! =D>

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Options
    Here's half of them. Had a hot spot toward the front and those finished first. These took a bit longer.

Will be shipping olive wood back for sure.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Very Nice!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'm glad he looks like his mother!    :-\"
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Looks spectacular as always my friend. Awesome job! =D>

Status- Standing by.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Dude - how many people were you cooking for? :) The little one is charming, btw.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • DMW
    Options
    @PNWFoodie Cooking for 12 right now. Some leftovers for lunch tomorrow. And yes, he poses well for photos. :-)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA