Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo technique questions

I'm trying turbo pork shoulder for the first time today.  Seems like I want to get to 160deg using a 350deg egg,wrap in foil, then continue at 350 until it reads 200.  Most people are saying it's about 6 hours total for a 6lber.

For arguments sake,  does it matter if my dome is only reading 300deg the whole time and I still wrap at 160 and pull at 200 if it takes 8 hrs instead of 6hrs?

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That will not bother the outcome other than length of cook, but will give you more egg time with your favorite adult beverage. If you like nice almost crunchy bark then skip the foil. A lot of folks here are going that way now. I personally smoke butts at 350* with no foil till an IT of 200 or so when it probes like buttah and the bone wiggles free. The cool thing about pork butts/ shoulders is you can't hardly mess them up. Experiment and enjoy the journey.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    No foil=great bark.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited June 2014
    I would skip the foil as well. Foil in my mind is for helping power through a stall. When going turbo there is little to no stall. I go 350 all the way with great bark and great results.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    +1 Skip the foil.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    +1 on skip.. agree on better bark. I like turbo ribs too...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Turbo = simple....... No foil( that would br hard). I do everything turbo...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Mickey‌ I have yet to do anything turbo. I may need to learn this method after all. I guess doing L&S just seems more traditional. Perhaps the next set of ribs or butt I'll give it a shot. And at what temp is considered turbo 275℉, 300℉, 350℉?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey

@Mickey‌ I have yet to do anything turbo. I may need to learn this method after all. I guess doing L&S just seems more traditional. Perhaps the next set of ribs or butt I'll give it a shot. And at what temp is considered turbo 275℉, 300℉, 350℉?

Mine are all 350. I just have no desire to spend the night with my Eggs. I like to sleep at night.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I have a 7 pounder on the XL even as I type.  No foil 350 - normally takes about 5 hours, although it is variable - cook to temp.  It's been on for just over 2 hours, and the Pit Pal says it's at 117.  I go to 200 - 205, depending on how it probes.  Can't wait!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Mickey said:
    Mine are all 350. I just have no desire to spend the night with my Eggs. I like to sleep at night.

+1 and then some.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • xiphoid007
    @Mickey‌ have you ever done turbo brisket?
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Mickey
    @Mickey‌ have you ever done turbo brisket?

No. Never done any brisket. Go figure, and I live in the middle of Texas.

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    I love to do low and slow overnight, I get to sleep out on the deck,drinking Budweiser in between sleeps, and listening to The Allman Brothers band all night long! Not every night but once in a while It is fun. :-j
  • xiphoid007
    @Mickey‌ do they let you BBQ in Texas if it's not brisket? Did I accidently out you?!? I hope the Texas BBQ officials aren't on their way to take your egg back!!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Did my first turbo, for my dad for Father's day, where I did not foil the butt.  Best bark yet and the meat was tender, moist and just full of flavor.   
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Mickey
    @Mickey‌ do they let you BBQ in Texas if it's not brisket? Did I accidently out you?!? I hope the Texas BBQ officials aren't on their way to take your egg back!!!

Look at it this way. Travis and CenTex are friends of mine. Two of the best brisket cooks on the forum and I live in a few mins drive from them. Franklins in Austin is said to be the very best brisket BBQ in America, and I am 45 mins away. So why should I cook brisket with three outstanding places to get it. Just saying........

• xiphoid007
    Well said! No on can argue that logic.

Unfortunately, I'm up in Pittsburgh and not a lot of brisket to be had. I have to figure it out myself. I try to avoid 8+ hr cooks, but I may have to bite the bullet if I want some good brisket.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Mickey said:

Look at it this way. Travis and CenTex are friends of mine. Two of the best brisket cooks on the forum and I live in a few mins drive from them. Franklins in Austin is said to be the very best brisket BBQ in America, and I am 45 mins away. So why should I cook brisket with three outstanding places to get it. Just saying........
    Might be time to get weird with brisket. I have a Snake River Farms 17 pounder that I'll throw in. I'm due a good one. Pool Party at Casa Centex? BYOWAR- (Bring Your Own Watermelon and Raft/Rum)

TStrick can bring little man and we could make an afternoon of it.

Or we can just meet at Franklins and drink beer in a parking lot for a few hours. I'm good with either.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Mickey said:

:( >:D<
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey

Mickey said:

Might be time to get weird with brisket. I have a Snake River Farms 17 pounder that I'll throw in. I'm due a good one. Pool Party at Casa Centex? BYOWAR- (Bring Your Own Watermelon and Raft/Rum)

TStrick can bring little man and we could make an afternoon of it.

Or we can just meet at Franklins and drink beer in a parking lot for a few hours. I'm good with either.

We are in the middle of Mobile Bay crossing going West. Pure stop and go heading for the tunnel.