Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help, am I still ok?

Options
Put a 12 lb brisket on last night at 130. Had the egg tabilized at 230 when I went to bed just around 1. Woke up at 6 to check and the egg temp was in the 130s at the grid and the brisket was at the same place. Got the egg back up to the 230 again. Is the brisket ruined?

Comments

• Steve0
    Steve0 Posts: 73
    Options
    Sorry, put it on at 930pm
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Not at all!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @SteveO‌
    There others far more qualified to answer your question than me but here are my thoughts for what they are worth on the question at hand. It is absolutely 100% fine my friend. Keep on cooking!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DominicMagestic
    Options
    So from 1:00 to 6:00 (5 hours) the temp dropped from 250 to 130. Your good - smoke on brother.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    My only concern would be how long it was at 130 degrees. My buddy works for the Department of Agriculture and studies bacteria growth on food and has made me paranoid LOL.......He won't even walk by a Buffett and look at it LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I measured how fast temp drops when an Egg fire is extinguished. Based on what I observed, the interior of the Egg, and the surface of the meat was probably in the "danger zone" for 10 or 15 minutes.

Pathogen death/growth rate becomes equal around 126F. At 130, any that might have drifted in thru the vents would be slowly dying.

For overnighters, try a dome with a minimum of 250F. There have been lots of reports of fires going out when left around 225. Seems like a fire that small can fail to move from on piece of lump to the next.

• Steve0
    Options
    The brisket is at 157 right now. Will any pathogens that may have grown die of as the temp of the meat rises.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    My only concern would be how long it was at 130 degrees. My buddy works for the Department of Agriculture and studies bacteria growth on food and has made me paranoid LOL.......He won't even walk by a Buffett and look at it LOL

LOL. You're gonna cook that bad boy up to 200+ anyway. Any critters that were there will be gone by then.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • gdenby
    Options
    The chance that there were any pathogens at all on the meat during the time it was at 130 are very small.

BBQ is only a few steps away from preserving. The rubs usually have salt and sugar, both of which kill bacteria. Many of the spices also kill bacteria. The smoke has compounds that kill bacteria, including formaldehyde. Vinegar in mops and sauces kills bacteria.

And so if there were any pathogens that drifted into the Egg, they would have had a hard time growing on the meat even if the temperature was somewhat lower. As far as I know, only bacillus cereus, which infects grain products, can live at 130F.

Check this out. Its a good quick reference for safety by time at temperature, pH, salt, etc. Try to lessen your doubt about the presence of various hazards. But when problems remain, follow the old rule of thumb, "When in doubt, toss it out."

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Hey, I'm just trying to wreck everyones Holiday Buffets like he did for me at my mom's house LOL........My mom hates me know, I'm always like mom, should that be put away, what about that, that's mayo based LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • gdenby
    Options
    At this point, I worry a lot more about poisoning from non-meats. How often do you hear: always be sure to cook your Iceberg lettuce to at least 165F for 2 minutes. Or: Even dousing your broccoli in vinegar won't kill the E. coli. Or: Projectile vomiting 2 hours after eating re-heated rice that didn't reach 185F is all in a days digestion.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Feed some to the raccoons at @nolaegghead‌ place. If they live, you're ok. If not...you helped nola out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

henapple said:
    Feed some to the raccoons at @nolaegghead‌ place. If they live, you're ok. If not...you helped nola out.
    Please don't feed my racoons!  They'll keep coming back.

You're meat is completely safe (assuming you started off with something safe).  Stay calm and continue on cooking.
    Options
    Late update. The brisket turned out great. Have some lessons that I learned. Next time I need to trim more fat between the two pieces and I will definitely use a drip pan on the platesetter
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Whew, I was starting to worry that the brisket " done got you down". :D:D Glad everything turned out good.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Steve0 said:

Late update. The brisket turned out great. Have some lessons that I learned. Next time I need to trim more fat between the two pieces and I will definitely use a drip pan on the platesetter

Trim more fat between the two pieces? Don't carve in too much as that layer is supposed to be there and will render if done right.

These are two seperate cooks and you can see the layer of fat between the flat and the point.

photo DSC_7139_zps058c1b7f.jpg
    photo DSC_6495_zps146a037a.jpg
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Steve0
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I measured how fast temp drops when an Egg fire is extinguished. Based on what I observed, the interior of the Egg, and the surface of the meat was probably in the "danger zone" for 10 or 15 minutes.

Pathogen death/growth rate becomes equal around 126F. At 130, any that might have drifted in thru the vents would be slowly dying.

For overnighters, try a dome with a minimum of 250F. There have been lots of reports of fires going out when left around 225. Seems like a fire that small can fail to move from on piece of lump to the next.

Just started another one tonight. Taking your advice and I am keeping it a bit higher temp for the overnight cook.