Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Confusion

Options
I have trimmed down my packer brisket to 12lbs and I am planning on throwing on at 8pm tonight for a 4pm dinner on Sunday. Going to use the FTC (planning on pulling at 2pm)when it finishes. Am I correct cooking around 1.5hrs per pound? Fat side up or down? Flip or no flip?

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    1.5/hr is just a guideline and would depend on the temp that you plan to cook at. Assuming something around 250* then it should get you in the ballpark; but many cook faster.

I put my packers on point up and no, you should not flip.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I was planning a 250 dome temp, 225 on the grid. Point up means fat side down?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I prefer fat side down-and I think it helps with the brisket cook-that said, here's some eggcellent info to consume before you fire it up:
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    I cook Briskets often...my last one was 12lb, I cooked on top rack over 2 Pork Butts at 225 degrees on the bottom rack....it finished in 14 hours, then wrapped in butcher paper, put in oven at170 degrees to rest for 3 hours then put in my pizza bag to take to office....in pizza bag about 2 hours I do little trimming I cut out the hard pice of fat, rub with Montreal Steak Seasoning with a little Chili Powder added then put in Egg fat side down for the long slow cook controlled by my Stoker
  • lousubcap
    edited June 2014
    Options
    At least I got the fat side down in sync with @thailand john-for you new egg owners, he is more accomplished than most of us who post here.  And his groceries are well off the chart!:)>- :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I roll fat side up, point towards the hinge.

Good luck!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    Options
    All in with point towards the hinge-and I do not pretend to have the touch/feel/dexterity with the hunk of beef to get to the "promised land" w/o a thermo!  That said, I may not live to see Sunday!!! :)>-
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I trim the fat and go fat cap up as to not dry out the meat
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I always do fat side down.
    Dearborn MI
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Down also
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    The reason I choose to cook fat side down is I want a good bark on the meat and when I remove the brisket it's the fat that sticks to the grate and I don' t lose the bark on the meat......I use a large metal pizza paddle to remove the brisket from the Egg
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I do down on cookers like the BGE and WSM that the heat comes from the bottom. If it was an offset style pit where the heat comes through the side and passes over the meat I might do fat side up. I'm not saying I'm right its just what I do. 
    Dearborn MI
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I buy a fifth of bourbon, hope for the best.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I prefer the Jedi way. And if the brisky doesn't cooperate I get medieval and go with the Vulcan Mind Meld.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌ said: I'm not saying I'm right it's just what I do.

My friend I think you are absolutely 100% right. I do exactly the same thing for the same reasons that you pointed out above. If you are wrong then I am wrong as well and I don't want to be right because I get outstanding results following these said parameters. Glad to see someone agrees with me on this. I am not alone after all!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2014
    Options
    The egg has a lot of heat deflection off the dome, similar to how a brisket cooks on the sidewall of an offset.  That's why I cook fat side up, but ultimately, I don't really think it matters.  I've achieved superb results up and down.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    So there you have it.......get yourself a fifth of your favorite booze and it doesn't matter which side you put the fat cap on.....It's all about the booze......genius, pure genius. We will call it Brisket the Sumoconnell method. LOL

Dearborn MI
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    I prefer the Jedi way. And if the brisky doesn't cooperate I get medieval and go with the Vulcan Mind Meld.
    ^  this!!!!!!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    God put a fat layer on a brisket to provide protection to the meat. Fat cap down.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    I do down on cookers like the BGE and WSM that the heat comes from the bottom. If it was an offset style pit where the heat comes through the side and passes over the meat I might do fat side up. I'm not saying I'm right its just what I do. 
    Here is my question (with no right or wrong answer); Is it hotter above the grid or below the grid with the platesetter in?
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Are you referring to cooking at the felt line as compared to the firebox?
    Dearborn MI
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I am referring to the area just below the grid to the area above the top of the brisket (when the set-up is indirect). We all tend to agree the dome temp is hotter than the grid. If that is so shouldn't it be slightly cooler below the brisket when compared to above it?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Crimsongator‌ yes on a regular cook it is. However on a L&S you'll find the dome and grid end up being almost exactly the same temp.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited June 2014
    Options
    not sure if it has been said, but I prefer fat-side UP.  This lets all of that rendered fat soak into the brisket making it even more juicy and not just drip into the drip pan - and if that gets too hot, will cause that burnt fat flavor.  Just my preference... YMMV   
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL      I ran my first L&S today with my new BBQ Guru Party Que and my grate stayed 25 degrees cooler than my dome temperature throughout the entire cook.
    Dearborn MI