Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first brisket

Options
I'm new to the BGE community. I got my first Egg about a month ago. I got the XL due to the fact that I have a family of 7. After a few cooks of burgers, sausages and dogs, I decided it was time to try some real food. I bought a 15.43 lb brisket from my local Costco. Very nice marble look on one side, lots of fat on the other. I trimmed the fat side down substantially. I used a rub recipe from Famous Rooster BBQ after watching his You Tube video. I let the brisket sit in foil in the rub for 7 hours. I started building my fire around 9:30 Saturday night. Had some trouble because I didn't close down the damper and daisy wheel soon enough and the Egg got too hot. It was peKing at 275 or so. After some work, I got it down to 220. I then added a water pan and the meat. This was at 11:40. Then the temperature dropped dramatically. It fell to 180. I opened the damper slightly and now I have had 199 for the last hour. It is now 1:35 AM Sunday. My brisket now has an internal temp of 91. I'm hoping to take this off at 3 PM, wrap in foil/towel, place in cooler until I meet everyone at the lake at 5:30. Am I on track? Should I bump temp up a little before I go to bed? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Here are pics of the meat and then my rub. Finished pics to come later this afternoon. Thanks again everyone.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    I'm a bit adult-beverage challenged right now- so, all with that as a reference, doing the math you have a 15+# pre-trimmed packer and are running at 220*F on the calibrated dome-looking to finish around  3 PM (EDT).  I would dial it up as it is far easier to use the FTC  to compensate than chase the finish-line. So, where to go...280-300*F (dome) and ride it home. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Vandable
    Vandable Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the help.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    If you have liquid in your water pan, don't be surprised to see a rise in your temp as the liquid evaporates.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    This is why I just pulled the plug and bought the Party Que. Cooks like this I will no feel comfortable laying my head down for some rest and not worrying about spikes or fluctuations until I get more experience on the egg. DOn't forget pictures of the finished product.
    Dearborn MI
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @220 that baby is gonna take some time
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DominicMagestic
    Options
    220 is too low to finish when you want to finish. Bump to 250-275. Cook to tenderness - not time or temp. It's a good thing if it is ready a couple hours earlier.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Vandable
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback, and I will include pics once I'm done. Frank, most of what I've read says not to open the EGG until the brisket hits 185-205 (depending on who you read). How do I judge tenderness? BTW: I'm 11 hours into the cook and my brisket's internal temp is 163. For a 15 pounder, is this sounding right?
  • Vandable
    Options
    HELP!!! My grill temp is down to 196 and I've got the damper all the way open on the bottom and the daisy wheel open, and I can get the temp any higher. Is it possible I've burned thru all my charcoal in 11 hours? I filled it up to just above the break line, then added some hickory chunks. Ideas?!?
  • Vandable
    Options
    Edit: I CAN'T get the temp to come up!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Vandable-looking thru early fogged adult beverage vision-you sound like "out-a-lump" .  No quick fix-and when next the long haul, load up into the fire ring.  That's another day...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    what kind of charcoal are you using? 

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • Vandable
    Options
    I'm using BGE. Instead of just opening the wheel up top, I turned it all the way open, and the temp is rising! Back up to 230 and climbing! Is it normal with a temp drop like that, that my meat would drop from 174 to 160? For a finishing temp I've seen everything from 180 to 205 recommended. Any suggestions? Trying to learn.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Probe for temp (around 195℉-202℉ ish) and should be able to slide Thermapen probe in and out of brisky like buttuh.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Egghead nation stands anxiously by waiting for your 3pm pics. Good luck
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Vandable
    Options
    I am so excited about my first brisket. After this experience, there will be many more. I must admit that I had low expectations, but I was also very hopeful that it would turn out decent. I was blown away. This XL BGE is amazing. After some temperature difficulties early on and a slight panic this morning when I couldn't hardly get the EGG back up to temp, this thing turned out amazing. It was so moist. As you can see from the photos below, this brisket had quite a bit of fat on it (next time I will trim more off) but it also had this wonderful marbling with a nice line of fat thru the center. I didn't even know that was possible! So here was my timeline so you don't have to read thru my original post: Saturday 9:30 pm: start building fire. 11:30 pm: put on brisket. Ran it at 220 until 3:00 am. Then at 255 the rest of the night. At 9:30 am, temp dropped to 187. By 10:30, had it back up to 265. At 12:30, turned it up to 295 and ran that until 2:00 pm. At 2:00 pm: FTC with 5 layers of foil. Took it out and sliced at 7:00 pm. Still very hot and oh so tender and juicy. Wife was shocked, she thought it would be cold. Thanks again for all the tips. It made for a wonderful evening. Can't wait to cook again.
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Nice dark bark.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    And don't be afraid to fill up that fire box!
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Looks like that layer of fat is because you sliced the point and the flat together. Looks great, glad it turned out for you.
    Dearborn MI
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Agree with @apinion, I would fill the box up more just above the line.  Going low and slow wouldn't make a difference, in my opinion. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options

That looks awesome.  BTW - On a long cook, I have filled the lump past the firebox almost to the top of the fire ring and that has never failed me.  I have gone 26 hours on one load of lump when I have smoked butts, then left the egg going so I could make the Smoky Baked Beans later that day....I pulled the butts off at 11:00, left the Egg smoking along empty, then added the Beans a few hours later. at 2:00  Plenty of lump left, even after the Beans were done!

Fantastic looking Brisket!