Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To tie or not to tie?

Options
I decided kind of late todays menu would be chuck roast for pulled beef. My only problem was by the time I decided I couldn't find good thick roasts. I bought two of them similar in size (about 3 pounds each) that are about 2.5 to 3inches thick each. Trying to decide to cook them side by side or tie one over the other. I've never cooked such a small piece of meat L&S if I do them at 3 pounds a piece.........Any suggestions?
Dearborn MI

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌
    I would cook them side by side. I cook small ones pretty regular for pulled beef with no issues at all. I have never tied two individual cuts together. Seems to me like the void between them could cause issues. I'm not sure of that as I have never tried it but I can see were it could result in different levels of doneness. Just my thoughts my friend. Maybe others who have tried it can shed more light on the subject for us.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I've cooked pork butts without the bone tied and untied. I've found the tied ones kept the smaller part from shrinking as fast and cooked more like a bone in butt. The untied ones shrink and separate and cook just fine but a it uneven.  Thats what gave me the idea. I did tie them extremely tight though.
    Dearborn MI
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    Side by side - that is the size I do for pulled beef. Your judges are going to be mighty happy.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Timing is my biggest concern, seems like they will cook quick and not sure how to plan.
    Dearborn MI
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    Get them started and finish early. Pulled beef, like pulled pork, reheats nicely.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat