Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs

Options
TexanOfTheNorth
TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
edited June 2014 in Pork
Couple of racks on for tonight's dinner. Pulled membrane and added Carolina style rub about 1/2 hour before putting racks on the egg. 250ish dome temp with some apple wood chips I had. Drip pan with no liquid on top of plater setter; raised with some copper tees. Won't even open the dome until around 6:30 to begin testing for doneness. Still need to get to the store to pick up a few things; hopefully they'll have some fresh okra that I can fry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan.   Looks like you're going to emphasize a thick crusty bark there. ;)
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan.   Looks like you're going to emphasize a thick crusty bark there. ;)
    Yeah, no sauce on my ribs!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌ said: no sauce on my ribs!

Mine either brother. It's been quiet some time since I sauced ribs. I prefer them dry by a wide margin. Can't wait to see the end result my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Got busy watching an episode of Columbo last night (hands down the best detective shows ever made) and did not get around to posting "after" pics until this morning.

Ribs were ready just before 7:00 last night and were excellent. Served with some fried okra (had to go to two grocery stores to find the okra) and Bush's baked beans.

Passed the bend test

Not much of a smoke ring!

Options
    Looks like a winner to me. The only way you could have made that any better of a meal would have been to throw on a few more of those lobsters along with the ribs!! I haven't quit thinking about those lobsters yet my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks like a winner to me. The only way you could have made that any better of a meal would have been to throw on a few more of those lobsters along with the ribs!! I haven't quit thinking about those lobsters yet my friend.
    LOL! The leftover lobster meat is going into a lobster salad we will be serving with tonight's Father's Day "feast".
    Options
    I hear ya brother. Again those lobsters were some thing else. I have always boiled them but you have me itching to grill them now.

Status- Standing by.

• Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Those are good looking ribs. I have always had liquid in my drip pan and had it on copper tees. I have been afraid that without a liquid in it - the drippings would scorch and give off a foul smell / taste. Do you ever have problems along these lines? I might try a dry pan and see how it goes.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @Keefer, never had that problem. The copper tees should prevent any scorching. I don't put any sauce on my ribs either or spritz during the cook so that may be a factor too, less liquid (i'm thinking sugar content here) in the drip pan.