Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket Confusion

I have trimmed down my packer brisket to 12lbs and I am planning on throwing on at 8pm tonight for a 4pm dinner on Sunday. Going to use the FTC (planning on pulling at 2pm)when it finishes. Am I correct cooking around 1.5hrs per pound? Fat side up or down? Flip or no flip?
·

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,452
    1.5/hr is just a guideline and would depend on the temp that you plan to cook at. Assuming something around 250* then it should get you in the ballpark; but many cook faster.

I put my packers on point up and no, you should not flip.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I was planning a 250 dome temp, 225 on the grid. Point up means fat side down?
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,495
    I prefer fat side down-and I think it helps with the brisket cook-that said, here's some eggcellent info to consume before you fire it up:
    Louisville
    ·
  • thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
    I cook Briskets often...my last one was 12lb, I cooked on top rack over 2 Pork Butts at 225 degrees on the bottom rack....it finished in 14 hours, then wrapped in butcher paper, put in oven at170 degrees to rest for 3 hours then put in my pizza bag to take to office....in pizza bag about 2 hours I do little trimming I cut out the hard pice of fat, rub with Montreal Steak Seasoning with a little Chili Powder added then put in Egg fat side down for the long slow cook controlled by my Stoker
    ·
    edited June 2014
    At least I got the fat side down in sync with @thailand john-for you new egg owners, he is more accomplished than most of us who post here.  And his groceries are well off the chart!:)>- :)>-
    Louisville
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,969
    I roll fat side up, point towards the hinge.

Good luck!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
    All in with point towards the hinge-and I do not pretend to have the touch/feel/dexterity with the hunk of beef to get to the "promised land" w/o a thermo!  That said, I may not live to see Sunday!!! :)>-
    Louisville
    ·
  • badinfluencebadinfluence Posts: 1,372
    I trim the fat and go fat cap up as to not dry out the meat
    1 XXL BGE, 1 XL BGE, 3 LG BGE, 3 MED. BGE, 1 SM. BGE, 2 MINI MAX BGE, 2 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
    ·
  • KenfromMIKenfromMI Posts: 730
    I always do fat side down.
    Dearborn MI
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,317
    Down also
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
    The reason I choose to cook fat side down is I want a good bark on the meat and when I remove the brisket it's the fat that sticks to the grate and I don' t lose the bark on the meat......I use a large metal pizza paddle to remove the brisket from the Egg
    ·
    I do down on cookers like the BGE and WSM that the heat comes from the bottom. If it was an offset style pit where the heat comes through the side and passes over the meat I might do fat side up. I'm not saying I'm right its just what I do. 
    Dearborn MI
    ·
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 995
    I buy a fifth of bourbon, hope for the best.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 10,955
    I prefer the Jedi way. And if the brisky doesn't cooperate I get medieval and go with the Vulcan Mind Meld.
    LBGE 2012, Mini MAX 2014, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
    ·
  • SGHSGH Posts: 13,810
    @KenfromMI‌ said: I'm not saying I'm right it's just what I do.

My friend I think you are absolutely 100% right. I do exactly the same thing for the same reasons that you pointed out above. If you are wrong then I am wrong as well and I don't want to be right because I get outstanding results following these said parameters. Glad to see someone agrees with me on this. I am not alone after all!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,969
    edited June 2014
    The egg has a lot of heat deflection off the dome, similar to how a brisket cooks on the sidewall of an offset.  That's why I cook fat side up, but ultimately, I don't really think it matters.  I've achieved superb results up and down.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
    So there you have it.......get yourself a fifth of your favorite booze and it doesn't matter which side you put the fat cap on.....It's all about the booze......genius, pure genius. We will call it Brisket the Sumoconnell method. LOL

Dearborn MI
    ·
  • msloanmsloan Posts: 264
    I prefer the Jedi way. And if the brisky doesn't cooperate I get medieval and go with the Vulcan Mind Meld.
    ^  this!!!!!!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
    ·
  • God put a fat layer on a brisket to provide protection to the meat. Fat cap down.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,755
    KenfromMI said:
    I do down on cookers like the BGE and WSM that the heat comes from the bottom. If it was an offset style pit where the heat comes through the side and passes over the meat I might do fat side up. I'm not saying I'm right its just what I do. 
    Here is my question (with no right or wrong answer); Is it hotter above the grid or below the grid with the platesetter in?
    ·
    Are you referring to cooking at the felt line as compared to the firebox?
    Dearborn MI
    ·
    I am referring to the area just below the grid to the area above the top of the brisket (when the set-up is indirect). We all tend to agree the dome temp is hotter than the grid. If that is so shouldn't it be slightly cooler below the brisket when compared to above it?
    ·
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 10,955
    @Crimsongator‌ yes on a regular cook it is. However on a L&S you'll find the dome and grid end up being almost exactly the same temp.
    LBGE 2012, Mini MAX 2014, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
    ·
    True
    ·
  • onedbguruonedbguru Posts: 651
    edited June 2014
    not sure if it has been said, but I prefer fat-side UP.  This lets all of that rendered fat soak into the brisket making it even more juicy and not just drip into the drip pan - and if that gets too hot, will cause that burnt fat flavor.  Just my preference... YMMV   
    ·
    @NPHuskerFL      I ran my first L&S today with my new BBQ Guru Party Que and my grate stayed 25 degrees cooler than my dome temperature throughout the entire cook.
    Dearborn MI
    ·