Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Chicken

Options
CampCook
CampCook Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There have been several topics on the subject of crisping skin on egged chicken. The latest Cook's Country has areport on making oven roasted chicken skin crispy. The author found that corn starch was the secret. He used a skewer to poke holes in the skin and then just two teaspoons of corn starch over the chicken. The chicken fat escapes through the holes while cooking, mixes with the starch and makes for extra crispy skin.
I have not tried this yet but it seems to me it would work just fine in the BGE.
Dave

Comments

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    CampCook,
    Thanks for sharing. Definitely worth a try![p]Joyce

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Here is another idea from an OLD post on another forum. Haven't tried it but it sounds interesting.[p]
    The 2 3 1/2# yard birds were dusted with a mixture of 1/2 tsp light malt extract and 1/2 tsp paprika. They sat on the counter 10-15 minutes and went into a cold smoker. The sitting time is important for the malt to start working. In about 40 minutes the cooker was up to cooking temp., 230F. They stayed for about 4 hours. [p]The finish of the skin is dark brown and smoky. The fat is rendered off the skin leaving it thin as paper and crispy. I can see light through it. It's remarkable. Virtually no fat. I knew it would work after about an hour in the cooker, since the cooker had a deep pool of rendered fat at the end of the drain.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    CampCook,
    I've got some cooking! I seasoned with secret salt and added ground chipotle to the cornstarch.
    JCA

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Great. Give us a report..
    Dave