Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Applewood

Pgrnfarm
Pgrnfarm Posts: 18

Had a friend who owns an orchard bring us a bunch of apple wood.  What food is best smoked with apple.  We'd like to either invite them for a meal or take a meal of some kind to them.  Also, would cheese do well with apple?

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Apple is great with pork and chiken
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Using apple right now with some baby backs.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Pork and poultry like apple. 

Have used this as the starting point.....

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Pgrnfarm‌
    We all have different tastes and opinions. However that being said I personally put Apple in the "good all around class" along with oak and pecan. I find in properly metered amounts Apple can and will yield good results on most anything if the cook at hand does his or her part. Again like most things we all have different "tastes" if you will but I myself am very fond of Apple. For grilled shrimp Apple is my wood of choice. I mostly use oak and pecan for everything else because they work very well and I have an abundance of both growing on my property and I have to purchase Apple wood. If Apple was established on my property it would be a three way split on what wood I used. With practice most fruit woods will produce good to great results. Apple falls into the great result arena in my opinion. Just my thoughts my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    I use apple either by itself or in a combo on most every cook. It is a nice mild smoke.
    Southern Indiana
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Fish, pork, and chicken. Is that wood seasoned? If not, you might think about adjusting the amount. Using green wood is probably gonna smoke differently than seasoned wood. A hotter fire might be easier to control smoke flavor compared to green wood smoldering. I'm just thinking about campfires I've made using dry wood vs green wood. Green wood smokes like crazy.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Pgrnfarm‌
    Just noticed you question about wood for cheese. Yes apple is excellent on cheese. Alder and pecan are outstanding as well for cheese. Again this is just my opinion and my preferences.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Apple and Hickory are my main stays. I use both on most every cook except for shrimp and butts. I like straight hickory best when cooking buts and straight apple with shrimp.