Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
Bob923
Bob923 Posts: 23

I'm doing a pork butt on the BGE tomorrow.  Has anyone ever tried or heard of putting it in an aluminum pan with some liquid and let it cook/smoke in it's on juices?.  If not, any ideas or recommendations on how to do a pork butt

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Bob if you type in Pork Butt in Search and push go...Get yourself a adult beverage and enjoy the ride... :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Bob923
    Options
    Will do John.  Thanks
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hey Bob! Happy friday man.
    I see you got a "go search it yourself comment". No prob, people will start chiming in.

A lot of folks cook it in pans or wrapped in juices, but only after you build up some smoke flavor and bark. Generally, and in a nutshell, cook it first unwrapped for 4 hours at 350, 6 hours at 300, 8 hours at 250, 10 hours at 225…or until you have a nice firm caramelized bark, then wrap in foil or put in a pan and wrap to finish. 

Once wrapped, and put back on the cooker, the internal temp will rise pretty quickly. You want to take it to 195-205 or when it is tender, then rest for an hour or more. You are in for a treat.

Enjoy, and yell back with any questions!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Forgot to say fat down. Also, here is a picture of our competition pork just before wrapping. Sometimes a little darker, but this is what you want before you put in a pan and wrap.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Bob923
    Options

Thanks sooooooooooooo much Chris

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    @Bob923‌ I'm a fan of turbo butt. I go indirect and 350 with a probe in the deepest part, making sure the probe isn't touching bone as that will give you a false reading. I go to 205 internal temp and FTC until its dinner time. The last one I did I used a waterpan underneath to catch drippings, I done know if you need a waterpan, but something to catch drippings is nice for cleanup. I put the fat down as you will get some radiant heat from below. Supposedly the fat helps insulate, but I don't know if that's true.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166108/holiday-weekend-turbo-butt#latest

There are tons of ways to do this, but this works great for me. Turbo is quicker, but still gives great bark which I and my family love. My wife stands next to me when I pull to steal he best bark.

If you foil you will cook quicker, but I think you sacrifice some bark.

Experiment and find what works for you, and make sure you have fun doing it! The best thing is even failures are still pretty darn good.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    I have never actually cooked a but in a pan containing liquid but I have put liquid (apple juice, beer, wine, water) in the drip pan.  Near as I can tell, it made no difference whatsoever and so I no longer bother adding anything to the drip pan.
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    I

Forgot to say fat down. Also, here is a picture of our competition pork just before wrapping. Sometimes a little darker, but this is what you want before you put in a pan and wrap.

Cheers!
    Chris
    Have you noticed whether cooking at a lower temp keeps the bark not as dark? I like the meteor look but haven't really achieved it lately. I even have sugar in my rub. I have a fairly light touch with the smoke only a few fist sized chunks of pecan, so I am wondering if that affects it.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    @Bob923‌ I'm a fan of turbo butt. I go indirect and 350 with a probe in the deepest part, making sure the probe isn't touching bone as that will give you a false reading. I go to 205 internal temp and FTC until its dinner time. The last one I did I used a waterpan underneath to catch drippings, I done know if you need a waterpan, but something to catch drippings is nice for cleanup. I put the fat down as you will get some radiant heat from below. Supposedly the fat helps insulate, but I don't know if that's true. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166108/holiday-weekend-turbo-butt#latest There are tons of ways to do this, but this works great for me. Turbo is quicker, but still gives great bark which I and my family love. My wife stands next to me when I pull to steal he best bark. If you foil you will cook quicker, but I think you sacrifice some bark. Experiment and find what works for you, and make sure you have fun doing it! The best thing is even failures are still pretty darn good.
    I am going to follow this method tomorrow..It is exactly what I was looking for and I also have a 9 pound Butt, so this will work out just right.. Thanks
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    I have an 8.5 pounder. I am going to try to have it on by 9:00. I will try at 350, fat side down. Trying to decide whether to add rub night before.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Beaumonty said:
    I
    Have you noticed whether cooking at a lower temp keeps the bark not as dark? I like the meteor look but haven't really achieved it lately. I even have sugar in my rub. I have a fairly light touch with the smoke only a few fist sized chunks of pecan, so I am wondering if that affects it.
    When we first started competing, we cooked our butts 18 hours at 215! Never wrapped, and they got pretty dark. Pork enjoys a little extra smoke, and it will definitely darken the color. But a few fist size chunks of pecan should be plenty. Just work on your timing and wrap only when the color is right.

Beaumonty…no reason to put the rub on the night before.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com