Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok Question

Options
I would like to start wok-cooking in my Egg but I don't know how big the wok should be.

I have a large BGE and will be getting a spider.  I assume the wok shouldn't have any wooden handles.

Would a wok about 16" across be the right size?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    Options
    If you are getting the spider from the ceramic grill store you might as well buy the wok they have.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    yup, 16" with steel handles
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I use a propane turkey fryer stand instead of wokking on the Egg.  Best $20 investment (off Craigslist) I ever made.  Saves the lump, and heats instantly.   You are not imparting any smoke when you Wok anyways.....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I fed a family of 4 for years with a 14" wok. It was plenty. The Wok Shop agrees...

"Fourteen inch (14") woks are the most popular; not too big; just right and very manageable. Can cook for 1-2 or more, a smaller wok, 12", 10" limited in capacity and cannot cook for more than 3 unless your portions are small. 14" gives you a lot more room to toss and stir fry especially lots of leafy, bulky veggies before they cook down. Woks are very affordable, a small and large one will be ideal and very efficient wokking in the kitchen.  16" is rather large and a bit cumbersome and too heavy for most females but manageable with the helper handle opposite the long wooden handle.  10" is ideal for camping, a second wok or for stir frying small portions.  Good for a single person, one serving, no leftovers.  Woks 18" and larger are considered commercial size and usually too large for home use unless you have commercial range or cooking outdoors with a high BTU (more than 16,000 BTU) stove/grill."

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Get the 16". I had an issue crowding it, so larger is better IMO.
    BTW other wok users do you store it outside? Its big and gets pretty dirty on the cook side.
    Seattle, WA
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Mine is hanging with all the other pots in the kitchen. It dwarfs the other pots!
    Kemah, TX
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I would do a 14 with metal handles.  Here are some thoughts and useful ideas.  Happy Wokking!