Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Birthday Gift to Myself

Options
It got delivered today on my Birthday and it wasn't expected to be shipped this early. The new Party Que. Must be a good sign LOL
Dearborn MI

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Now let's see that present in action. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Grats, my digi q dx2 maiden voyage is any day now.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌ whatcha gonna break its cherry with?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I broke my Stoker's cherry with a butt and the following weekend another butt. This weekend gonna smoke a little over an 8# brisky flat.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Thinking I need a test run before trying 2 pork butts for my sons pre school picnic Tuesday, so maybe ribs.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌ screw the test run BS. Pull down those panties and get the smoke rolling. Oops that's the Yuengling talking. I take no responsibility for comments from here forward this evening. Complaints should be directed to Pottsville, PA. =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Actually I believe yours is brewed in Tampa. :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    NP, not sure. Need to figure that out by tomorrow morning.
    Dearborn MI
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Happy belated birthday. I am getting close to pulling the trigger on this. One more night that doesn't go as planned for an all nighter and I'm there.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I just plan on using it occasionally, I'm not going to use it when I'm home and awake. I like checking things, adjusting vents and poking things with sticks when I can. LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    @KenfromMI,

I, like you, enjoy the process of monitoring temp, adjusting and just simply babysitting my cooks.
    However, for those low and slows like Butts and Briskets, I do like to sleep just as much 
    #:-S
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I really like mine; you're gonna get a lot of use out of it!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Ok, its been decided. Chuck Roasts for pulled beef. Going to smoke them over cherry wood and make a homemade strawberry BBQ sauce with the fresh Michigan sweet as hell strawberries I picked today at an organic U pick farm. Only problem is they didn't have any rolls so I had to buy two roasts that were about 3 inches thick. Trying to decide if I should tie them together real tight with kitchen twine or just do them side by side. Usually I do much thicker cuts of chuck for pulled beef. No idea how I'm making the BBQ sauce yet either LOL. Thinking the usual suspects and then adding fresh blended strawberries an maybe some strawberry preserves for a little more sweetness.  
    Dearborn MI
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Do them side by side, more bark-like flavor during the smoke phase.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I was going to rub all the sides before tying them together so at least a layer of rub would be in between the two pieces. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @KenfromMI - Thanks for the tip on the This Is It shop in West Bloomfield.  I went today unsupervised, bought a bag of Rockwood and a Smokeware cap.  Buying things for myself the day before Father's Day is shameful, yet I don't feel bad about it!  Thanks again!
    Flint, Michigan
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Report back on it.. Seems to be reasonably priced, and something I might go for. I like having it not needing an outlet as my outlet is on the other size of my patio where my egg is. I also don't care if I have a temp probe in the food, I have a thermapen and don't mind checking temp when I know it's getting close. But controlling the temp and stoking the fire is something I could get behind. Did you need to get anything else to go with it to make it work/mount?
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Fatcity, I bought an adapter for my BGE like $10 fits into lower vent door and one for my WSM $20 that attaches through a bottom daisy wheel.  If you have a larger pit than like and XL BGE or a 22.5 inch WSM they recommend a different unit with a larger fan so it doesn't have to work so hard. This unit is more for a home smoker. They did however upgrade the motor on the new model too so it should do pretty good. Tested it today and the fan seems very powerful for being so small. 

Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Fred, no problem. He's more than the internet but you can look at it and leave with it in your hand same day. I saw the Smoke wear caps but didn't ask how much. How much higher was he compared to the internet? I know the charcoal was like $5 more a bag and 32oz Dizzy Dust was like $3 if no shipping or gas to get there is taken into consideration.
    Dearborn MI
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I wasn't paying attention when I bought it because I was laughing & joking with my daughters.  Looking at the receipt, I paid $45 for the Smokeware cap and $27 for a bag of Rockwood. 

Oh well.  Chalk it up to supporting local business.  Well, metro Detroit business anyway. 

Flint, Michigan
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I knew I paid more than internet for charcoal but didn't ask about the cap. I wasn't ready to order $100 worth of charcoal I never tried yet as well. The guy working there was nice and we BS'd for a while. If we were in a bar I would have bought him a beer so the extra $10 for two bags of charcoal isn't a big deal to me LOL.......I don't have a problem paying a bit more and shopping at a brick and mortar unless the difference is ridiculous. 
    Dearborn MI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌
    Happy Birthday my friend. Enjoy that Party Q. You know I was always pretty good at picking out gifts for myself as well. I just never was quiet as good at picking them out for other folks. ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KenfromMI
    Options
    Yeah, gift certificates are always good too.I always tell everyone give me the gift I really want,, the gift to choose LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    How does one install the adapter for one of the controllers if the Egg is in a nest? The support is right be the edge of the opening, so it's not clear how the adapter would fit in.
    Kemah, TX
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I'll tell you later but it looks like you just open the vent and screen about half way, insert i and close the door tight against it. It doesn't extend past any part of the vent door.
    Dearborn MI
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I diggin that.. So you don't need the external controller?

This mainly just keeps your grate temp at whatever you set it on the controller, right? Uses batteries to stoke the fire and hold it steady?

Wonder if it's worth the extras to get the larger DigiQ over it? Ever used that?
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    @jllbms, you were right my friend, disappointed to say the least. Can't get the adapter in the door while my egg is in the nest. I may be able to shift it just enough but I can't do it by myself if it will even work at all. I guess I'm doing it on my own or breaking out the Weber WSM. BBQ Guru should tell people on their site that it may not work with an egg in the nest. If I put it one way there is way too much air space and I'm afraid the controller will fall out. The other way I can't slide it in from the side due to the leg on the nest. Really sucks and put a damper on my day.  Blows, should have saved my money. So much for my B day gift to myself lol
    Dearborn MI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    KenfromMI said:

@jllbms, you were right my friend, disappointed to say the least. Can't get the adapter in the door while my egg is in the nest. I may be able to shift it just enough but I can't do it by myself if it will even work at all. I guess I'm doing it on my own or breaking out the Weber WSM. BBQ Guru should tell people on their site that it may not work with an egg in the nest. If I put it one way there is way too much air space and I'm afraid the controller will fall out. The other way I can't slide it in from the side due to the leg on the nest. Really sucks and put a damper on my day.  Blows, should have saved my money. So much for my B day gift to myself lol

I have the older PartyQ and have no problem installing the adapter plate while in the nest. Post a pic of the adapter plate, I'm sure we can figure this out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    It fits one of two ways according to their site depending on egg size. One way its too short, the other way it needs to slide in from the side of the unit which the legs are in the way.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    BRB
    Dearborn MI