Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made Honey Baked Ham

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
I been making these for years instead of buying them. They turn out pretty dog gone good in my opinion. I will post the recipes and steps if anyone is interested. Will post more pics as the cook progresses. I threw a little sausage in as well while I had a heavy steam and smoke.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Looks awesome, I'm in if you post the recipe
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌
    You got it brother. Will type it up for you when I'm done cooking.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MJLivingston
    Options
    @SGH I and I am sure many others would really appreciate your recipe. I have been thinking about doing one of these for a while this could be my final piece of inspiration.
    Lexington TN
  • SGH
    Options
    @MJLivingston‌
    Brother I will post it on this thread for y'all. Hope y'all enjoy it as much as we do.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Do you inject the curing brine, or just soak it? Can't wait for the details, looks great.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW
    Just a soak then a mop down with it every 1 hour.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Mopping down at the one hour mark. Looking pretty good at this point.
    Holding a perfect 300 degrees.
    imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    The end result after 3 hours of very heavy smoke and steam. The steam was created by a mixture of honey, apple juice, orange juice and coke soft drink. Hope y'all enjoy my friends!!!

;)
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I just noticed it is spiral cut. Was this an already cured city ham, or did you cure a fresh ham? The reason I ask is I've never seen a spiral cut fresh ham.

Either way, looks like good eatin.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MJLivingston
    MJLivingston Posts: 66
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @SGH that is some good looking ham is that the same mixture you soaked it in and was mopping on every hour. And is that just a fresh spiral cut ham or has it been pre smoked. Also what type wood do you prefer to smoke with and did you cook to an internal temp or just 3 hours. Sorry I am asking so many questions but I really do want to try this soon.
    Lexington TN
  • SGH
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @DMW @MJLivingston‌
    Yes it is a presmoked spiral cut ham. I simply give them a 1 hour soak in the brown sugar brine and mop them with it every hour. I do add a few things to it and also I set a pan of honey, coke, apple and orange juice under it for steam. Works like a charm my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    It turned out great my friends. :D

Status- Standing by.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Very nice. I almost bought one once until I saw the price tag. Can't wait to make it instead.
  • SGH
    Options
    I made this one for the price of the ham only as I already had the spices at home. 28 dollars. Way cheaper than buying them and I assure you they are just as good. Thanks for looking.

Status- Standing by.

• mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    Wow that looks great!! I am in the mood for some ham now !!
    Danville, Il
  • SGH
    Options
    @mshump‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks mighty fine! I love ham.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    Options
    @caliking‌

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks beautiful!  Where did you get the rack that you are cooking it on?  It looks like it was made to fit over the foil pan. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌
    It's made to fit perfect in full size steam pans. It's made by Pampered Chef. I buy them at Bed Bath and Beyond. They usually have a bunch of them left over after the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays for half price. I try to buy a bunch of them up as I use them for most every cook. I hope this helps my friend and thanks for the kind words.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌
    My wife said it's actually a cookie cooling rack but I like it the best due to the legs. It gives me 5 inches of clearance from the bottom of the pan. But it is made by Pampered Chef and we get most of them from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks @SGH!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌
    You are more than welcome my friend.
    Here is the reason I like these so much. As you can see they can be adjusted up and down. This is a huge benefit in my opinion. Not sure what you cook on but if you use a egg you will have to have a xlarge. I have the large egg and the racks are to big to be used on it. Just thought I would point that out before you purchased them.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    All great information, and an awesome looking ham. Well done buddy.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • SGH
    Options
    @‌Acorn

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    That really looks awesome SGH... That is some great looking ham. Love that you shared it... Appreciate any and all your posts my friend...
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. Glad that you enjoyed it. Going to post the actual recipes ( I have 3 different ones ) when time permits. They all work equally well with just slightly different results. Again thank you my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    I'll be cooking one of those over the holidays for sure. Looking forward to the recipe.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • SGH
    Options
    @StillSmoken‌

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Here is one way that I do them. I have several different methods that I use. I even have a few for hams that are not spiral cut. I will post them as well when time allows and I'm feeling better. Sorry for the delay but I have had a severe sinus infection the past 3 days and have been absolutely miserable to say the least. This recipe is for a spiral cut precooked ham only. It produces a outstanding end result with minimal ingredients and little effort. Things needed for the cook.
    1 spiral cut precooked ham 6-8 pounds.
    1 tightly packed cup of Processors Choice Brown Sugar Cure A4780050.
    1/2 gallon of water.
    1/2 cup of honey.
    Bring the half gallon of water to a boil and dump in the cure and stir the mixture well until the cure has totally dissolved.
    Let the mixture cool to about 115 degrees then dunk the ham in the mixture for about 2 minutes. All you are trying to do is get the cure all over the ham and up in the nooks and crannys. The ham is already cured and cooked you are just adding a base layer for a flavor profile and nothing more.
    Remove the ham from the cure. Do not pat dry. While the ham is still wet sprinkle it all over with light brown sugar. Not a heavy coat just a good even light coat will do the trick.
    Next take 1/2 cup of the cure that you have made and bring to a boil and add 1/2 cup of honey and boil and stir for 2-3 minutes. This will be your baste for the ham.
    Load the ham in your smoker and maintain a temp of 275-300 degrees. No hotter no cooler. 275-300 degrees.
    Baste the ham well with the honey sugar cure every 45 minutes until you reach a internal of 135 degrees. Remember these hams are precooked. If you go any higher than 135 internal it will dry out. You are only warming it and carmelizing the cure not cooking the ham. Pull when you hit 135 degrees internal and let rest for 15 minutes then dig in and enjoy a real treat my friends.
    When I'm feeling better I will post a few other different ways of doing it as well as how to do it with a ham that is not spiral cut. Hope you enjoy my friends. One last thing. These hams have already been pre-smoked heavily with hickory. That being said I recommend only using cherry wood for smoking. Why? Cherry will tame hickory and not turn it bitter. If you chose to use a different wood besides cherry just remember to be very careful and conservative with it or you will end up with a ham as bitter as a Gaul Berry bush. You have been warned my friends. I would stick with the cherry or no wood at all until you have a few under your belt as the ham is already smoked sufficient for most. The BBQ Masters out there need not heed the above advice for obvious reasons. Pour the hickory to it as you see fit. Good luck and enjoy.

Status- Standing by.